Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Bright Building (749 King St W) | 18 + 3 fl | U/C
(05-14-2018, 11:10 AM)KevinL Wrote: As a KCI alumnus, I do mourn for the loss of the east wing classrooms' view of downtown.

But I can't argue against its suitability here, this is just what midtown needs.
I completely agree. It still amazes me how good of a view KCI has of KW. On the second floor I remember being able to see the water tower at the boardwalk. And on the third floor I remember being able to see the expressway and the wind turbine for Hudson's bay at Conestoga Mall. I'm hoping the former ST.Mark's property isn't developed as another high-rise or the view of that end of Waterloo will be gone too. I support and get excited about 99% of new high-rises being built in KW but this one hurts to support.

(11-26-2019, 09:21 AM)TMKM94 Wrote:
(05-14-2018, 11:10 AM)KevinL Wrote: As a KCI alumnus, I do mourn for the loss of the east wing classrooms' view of downtown.

But I can't argue against its suitability here, this is just what midtown needs.
I completely agree. It still amazes me how good of a view KCI has of KW. On the second floor I remember being able to see the water tower at the boardwalk. And on the third floor I remember being able to see the expressway and the wind turbine for Hudson's bay at Conestoga Mall. I'm hoping the former ST.Mark's property isn't developed as another high-rise or the view of that end of Waterloo will be gone too. I support and get excited about 99% of new high-rises being built in KW but this one hurts to support.

St. Marks will not become a high rise development.... so the views are safe to the west(north).

Coke
I am aware of a developer that was going to purchase it for the purpose of tearing it down and building a high-rise condo. The deal fell through though, although I know he is still watching the property... This was just this year..
The land has already been sold, to a group that has no plans to do any substantial changes.  There is a one year escape clause on the sale while testing is done on the site and current building.  When that year is up, I will be at liberty to discuss, but not yet.

The (former) church body was adamant about it being a community outreach project, and not selling out to the highest bidder. The building also has heritage protection I believe.

Coke
That sounds about right, The developer I know who was involved is from the GTA, he does many large projects. I believe the wish of the church was one of the reasons the deal fell through, difference of views. I know the developer is very interested in Kitchener, he was very surprised to see what was happening here.
(12-05-2019, 02:41 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: That sounds about right, The developer I know who was involved is from the GTA, he does many large projects.  I believe the wish of the church was one of the reasons the deal fell through, difference of views.  I know the developer is very interested in Kitchener, he was very surprised to see what was happening here.
Well this sounds promising. Would love to see more Toronto developers entry the area. Nothing wrong with what's been happening in the region so far, just a few too many developments from London based stucco developers.
Last few posts are off topic -- where was this that we're talking about? Is it the church property by KCI at Green and King?

(12-05-2019, 06:49 PM)jeffster Wrote: Last few posts are off topic -- where was this that we're talking about? Is it the church property by KCI at Green and King?

St. Mark's is at Green and King, yes. It's on the opposite side from KCI from this post's main topic.
Looks like demolition is under way at this site from going by yesterday,  I hadn't been in the area in a while.
Anyone know where I can find more information about this? Normally by going through council meetings and such you can find site plans, etc, but the only document on the whole of the city agenda that mentions this development is one for minor variances

https://lf.kitchener.ca/WeblinkExt/0/doc...Page1.aspx

Where do I find more information?
(01-17-2020, 05:37 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Anyone know where I can find more information about this? Normally by going through council meetings and such you can find site plans, etc, but the only document on the whole of the city agenda that mentions this development is one for minor variances

There probably isn't any more info. The really public process you've seen elsewhere is for zone changes, but if the building complies with zoning then there isn't much public info. Things like site plan approval for a zoning compliant building isn't public.
(01-17-2020, 06:14 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(01-17-2020, 05:37 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Anyone know where I can find more information about this? Normally by going through council meetings and such you can find site plans, etc, but the only document on the whole of the city agenda that mentions this development is one for minor variances

There probably isn't any more info. The really public process you've seen elsewhere is for zone changes, but if the building complies with zoning then there isn't much public info. Things like site plan approval for a zoning compliant building isn't public.

Darn. Where do things like that new render on the last page that was in The Record come from, in that case? It's not on the architect's site, nor in the minor variance document
Renders are usually released to the press when required.

Demolition started today, one of the house has been torn down
The house is indeed fully demolished; the professional building has been pretty much gutted, but the frame is still up for now.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »