Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Isabella Residences | 11 fl | Proposed
(01-11-2020, 12:33 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Everything about it seems “faux”.  New money expressing itself in an utterly conventional way.  I.e., Waterloo ...

As opposed to "faux" old money classism sniffing it's nose at somebody else?

(01-11-2020, 12:58 PM)MBytor Wrote:
(01-11-2020, 12:33 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Everything about it seems “faux”.  New money expressing itself in an utterly conventional way.  I.e., Waterloo ...

As opposed to "faux" old money classism sniffing it's nose at somebody else
Indeed.  One has one’s standards ...  Wink
If they changed the mansard roof I'd be happy
A back hoe is onsite for demolition now. Some fencing is up, but just the orange plastic stuff, so presumably not demolition fencing?
There was an article about this project in the Record. Interesting graphic lets you switch from the old proposal to the new.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/981...-the-core/
If I had to choose, I'd much prefer the original design.
I like it in concept. I was recently in Winnipeg (yes, it was cold) and I did enjoy some of the older buildings that are sort of this style, such as this one at the corner of Main St and Lombardi Ave. I think it's beautiful.

The thing with this Dorset St project is that I just don't trust that they're going to use the real materials. I think they're going to go for this look but use stucco to try and get there.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.8964014,-...312!8i6656

Just for ease of viewing, from the Record:

[Image: B881019027Z.1_20200122181350_000_GT1S26N...rtrait.jpg]

I'm sorry, but IMO, this isn't even close
I like this: "There is an attempt to create a landmark building"

Ummm? Can we define landmark? Neither of these proposals was going to be that. Or maybe they've decided that's what constitutes landmark in Uptown these days?
(01-25-2020, 08:50 PM)Spokes Wrote: Just for ease of viewing, from the Record:

[Image: B881019027Z.1_20200122181350_000_GT1S26N...rtrait.jpg]

I'm sorry, but IMO, this isn't even close

Agreed - the original proposal seems superior in every way (not least in terms of taste)!  Wink
(01-25-2020, 08:52 PM)Spokes Wrote: I like this:  "There is an attempt to create a landmark building"

Ummm?  Can we define landmark?  Neither of these proposals was going to be that.  Or maybe they've decided that's what constitutes landmark in Uptown these days?

Landmark of pretentiousness, perhaps?  What style is it supposed to be, neo French Renaissance Revival?  I suppose a "landmark" can be a prominent building that bears no relationship to the structures around it.
It's interesting - young people would definitely gravitate more toward the modern design.  I really liked the large panel windows of the modern design.
The retro design might appeal to more of the older demographic that the developer is looking to rent to.
This is kind of a historic part of Waterloo, so the new retro design could work if the final product actually looks like a historic building.
At least it will be unique - which is kind of neat.  I can't see any other developers doing historic-look buildings on a large scale.
There are definitely some buyers out there that don't like full-wall glass windows and open concept apartments; perhaps this devveloper has found more unserved demand in that direction...

I just can't get the same hate on for this as others seem too. Yes I really liked the old development it was a beautiful looking modern glass building. For some reason I still like the revised proposal. I think it will definitely be unique for years to come. I also like that it will renovated the building beside it to incorporate into the design.  My biggest fear is that EIFS panels will be used, that will instantly change my mind on this project. If they use stone panels and high end windows it will turn out great. I want to believe that they are going for the higher end clientele with this proposal so they will choose the right exterior cladding. 

I will say I usually hate mansard roofs. Mostly because the ones done it this region are incredible ugly. I think it could turn out nice though
(01-27-2020, 05:08 PM)westwardloo Wrote: I just can't get the same hate on for this as others seem too. Yes I really liked the old development it was a beautiful looking modern glass building. For some reason I still like the revised proposal. I think it will definitely be unique for years to come. I also like that it will renovated the building beside it to incorporate into the design.  My biggest fear is that EIFS panels will be used, that will instantly change my mind on this project. If they use stone panels and high end windows it will turn out great. I want to believe that they are going for the higher end clientele with this proposal so they will choose the right exterior cladding. 

I will say I usually hate mansard roofs. Mostly because the ones done it this region are incredible ugly. I think it could turn out nice though

They have already started replacing windows on the main floor of the current building with windows which match the new (historic) design.
I also have faith that they will get this one (mostly) right - the developer and the architect on this project are first-rate.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »