Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
The Breithaupt Block Phase III | 11 fl | U/C
dawn parker = biased because shes a resident. i wonder if she didnt live in the area if shed have the same opinions.....

The right decision was made. Excited to see what the final site plan looks like.
(04-09-2018, 11:25 PM)welltoldtales Wrote: The right decision was made. Excited to see what the final site plan looks like.

what was the decision??
Breithaupt Block Phase 3 is a go.
(04-10-2018, 08:19 AM)welltoldtales Wrote: Breithaupt Block Phase 3 is a go.

Are there major changes to the plan?
This still needs to go to the full Council, no? When will that happen?
(04-10-2018, 08:21 AM)jgsz Wrote:
(04-10-2018, 08:19 AM)welltoldtales Wrote: Breithaupt Block Phase 3 is a go.

Are there major changes to the plan?

As far as I can tell, most changes happened in planning.

(04-10-2018, 08:24 AM)panamaniac Wrote: This still needs to go to the full Council, no? When will that happen?

Potentially, but by all accounts it will more than likely pass. Marsh has to declare a conflict of interest and vote went 6-4 with the typical voting block of Vrbanovic, Ioannidis, Singh, Schneider, Davey and Galloway-Sealock. Davey, Schneider, and Vrbanovic all commented on their reasoning and I just don't think anyone will be able to swing two of those voters.

(04-10-2018, 08:44 AM)welltoldtales Wrote:
(04-10-2018, 08:21 AM)jgsz Wrote: Are there major changes to the plan?

As far as I can tell, most changes happened in planning.

(04-10-2018, 08:24 AM)panamaniac Wrote: This still needs to go to the full Council, no?  When will that happen?

Potentially, but by all accounts it will more than likely pass. Marsh has to declare a conflict of interest and vote went 6-4 with the typical voting block of Vrbanovic, Ioannidis, Singh, Schneider, Davey and Galloway-Sealock. Davey, Schneider, and Vrbanovic all commented on their reasoning and I just don't think anyone will be able to swing two of those voters.

I would be astonished if it did not pass at Council.
(04-10-2018, 08:44 AM)welltoldtales Wrote: Potentially, but by all accounts it will more than likely pass. Marsh has to declare a conflict of interest and vote went 6-4 with the typical voting block of Vrbanovic, Ioannidis, Singh, Schneider, Davey and Galloway-Sealock. Davey, Schneider, and Vrbanovic all commented on their reasoning and I just don't think anyone will be able to swing two of those voters.

What's Marsh's conflict? Simply because she lives (somewhat) nearby?
(04-10-2018, 12:58 PM)MidTowner Wrote: What's Marsh's conflict? Simply because she lives (somewhat) nearby?

Yes. She was advised by legal counsel not to weigh in.
Record article on City Council's decision :
https://www.therecord.com/news-story/838...-own-plan/

I just started re-reading the PARTS central plan, if it is in fact true that the area that this development is slated for was to be restricted to 14m, that seems like a big oversight being so close to the transit hub and LRT. If so I have more understanding of why some residents are upset about the proposed development .

I definitely don't agree with Dawn Parker's assessment of property values and the comparison of this area to Northdale. In Northdale developers built for many years single use 5 bedroom unit rental properties, that's not what is being proposed here.
An appropriate development for this location. Once this is built and there's further developments explored (due to the fact that it will be the Region's central transportation hub), any resident approached to sell should give strong consideration and work alongside their neighbours. Since Northdale was mentioned, some property owners cashed out with ridiculous money for their small and often rundown home/property. Others held and developments were built right around them, capping their future. No corporation is going to pay inflated prices for a lot they can get maybe 10 parking spots out of or a green space for residents/employees. In fact they will expect a discount, at or below market value. It's a fight that simply cannot be won by individual home owners.

Example: WLU paid $590,000 for the 1,233 square-foot home and the 0.07 hectare (0.17 acre) rectangular piece of land at 46 Bricker Ave. The final sale price is about 40 per cent lower than the $960,000 asking price.
Agreed @Watdot, they built a two huge hulking towers that face south and east. Rezoned low rise residential to add commercial and these massive residential towers. That was in 1990. I have attached a picture of the area around these towers 30 years on. You can see the massive development and death of residential homes. It's only a matter of time before all of these homes are sold to developers. Maybe another 60 years.

(04-14-2018, 09:48 AM)welltoldtales Wrote: Agreed @Watdot, they built a two huge hulking towers that face south and east. Rezoned low rise residential to add commercial and these massive residential towers. That was in 1990. I have attached a picture of the area around these towers 30 years on. You can see the massive development and death of residential homes. It's only a matter of time before all of these homes are sold to developers. Maybe another 60 years.

The two towers contain hundreds of residential homes, too ...
I know. I am being sarcastic. It was rezoned and two huge towers were built and the neighbourhood has not seen that suddenly developers just want to buy up homes and convert them. It has been thirty years and if you look around this rezoned massive tower development. The neighbourhood has 100s of single family homes, even though, like BB3 it surrounded on "three sides by single hoes and was jn 1990 too.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »