Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
The Breithaupt Block Phase III | 11 fl | U/C
The good builders go back and fill the gaps with something colour matching, so it ends up being a lot less visible in the final product. Not invisible, but I don't notice it unless I'm looking a lot of the time.

Arrow Lofts 2 is a crappy pre-cast building, but they did the brick part with real brick. No idea why they'd spring for that after cheaping out on the rest of the building.

I don't think pre-cast is necessarily crappy. You can make crappy buildings with precast, but you can also make nice ones with it.
Update from today (7/9/2021). Looks Great!

So far its looking good to me. I guess they are painting the columns near the end of construction? can't wait to see what the curtain or window wall looks like. That will make or break this project in my opinion. Not loving the glove box. I hope they don't cheep out. 

I like the precast brick panels. This is a rare example in this region of precast done right. (Arrow lofts is an assault to my eyes, but it provides housing) Those joints will be sealed with a colour matching caulking and the average person won't notice a thing. Projects that use actual masonry still need to install control joints periodically. There aren't nearly as many but it is still noticeable.
(07-09-2021, 02:18 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I don't think pre-cast is necessarily crappy. You can make crappy buildings with precast, but you can also make nice ones with it.

I agree. I meant Arrow Lofts is crappy, and is precast. Both the cheap building, and the use of precast elsewhere, suggests they'd use precast brick, but then they didn't.
(07-08-2021, 08:02 PM)ac3r Wrote: I'll never get over the prefab faux brickwork that results in huge cracks between each panel that is now standard in construction. Do brick layers even have jobs anymore? It looks ridiculous, as if it was made out of offbrand dollarstore Lego that just doesn't sit right.

Yeah, they work at the pre-fab concrete plants now.
They're on to the first full floor above the support legs. Interestingly it looks like only 4 of them are structural, and the other two are decorative.

That's really cool looking in my opinion
Interesting observation about the supports! I noticed that and wrote a message about it, then noticed you had already mentioned it. I wonder if the middle 2 are made of thinner material?
(08-12-2021, 12:33 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: Interesting observation about the supports! I noticed that and wrote a message about it, then noticed you had already mentioned it. I wonder if the middle 2 are made of thinner material?

Will have to go up and knock on them, once it's finished.
(08-20-2021, 01:27 PM)KevinL Wrote: Will have to go up and knock on them, once it's finished.

I bet they won't even form a consonant scale. Architects these days…
View from right next to the Station Park sales office. Taken this past Sunday!

Hi CP42,

Thanks for the updates. But I strongly suggest you actually insert the attachment link into the post (it's just below the "Add Attachment" button); otherwise it does not scale properly and ends up being cut off.

Please compare your post to this photo (on a non-4K monitor) to see the difference!

[Image: attachment.php?aid=7977]

(09-19-2021, 10:28 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Hi CP42,

Thanks for the updates. But I strongly suggest you actually insert the attachment link into the post (it's just below the "Add Attachment" button); otherwise it does not scale properly and ends up being cut off.

Please compare your post to this photo (on a non-4K monitor) to see the difference!

[Image: attachment.php?aid=7977]
Thank you Tom! I've updated my post.
This building has some kind of strange ramp to nowhere. (It just occured to me that maybe it covers an entrance to underground parking).        
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »