Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
The Breithaupt Block Phase III | 11 fl | U/C
How are the googlers going to get from the parking garage to the office building? I can't imagine they'll be expected to clamber across the train tracks? Are they getting a bridge or a tunnel or something? Maybe a zip-line?

(05-17-2021, 08:30 AM)Joedelay Highhoe Wrote: How are the googlers going to get from the parking garage to the office building? I can't imagine they'll be expected to clamber across the train tracks? Are they getting a bridge or a tunnel or something? Maybe a zip-line?

This is where a trail is expected to get built along the train tracks to connect the Iron Horse Trail to the Multimodal Hub. Not sure when though, hopefully soon.
(05-17-2021, 10:09 AM)urbd Wrote: This is where a trail is expected to get built along the train tracks to connect the Iron Horse Trail to the Multimodal Hub. Not sure when though, hopefully soon.

Perimeter (Google) has an agreement with the city for pay for part of the trail, including lighting and safety upgrades. So I'm sure the money helps move up the timetable, and that it'll have to be done before the new building opens.
(05-17-2021, 08:30 AM)Joedelay Highhoe Wrote: How are the googlers going to get from the parking garage to the office building? I can't imagine they'll be expected to clamber across the train tracks? Are they getting a bridge or a tunnel or something? Maybe a zip-line?

Fairly certain there is a shuttle that runs for the present surface lots up there.
(05-19-2021, 03:09 PM)cherrypark Wrote:

Fairly certain there is a shuttle that runs for the present surface lots up there.

If it was a long distance, a shuttle makes sense... but this shouldn't be a long walk (Not if a direct path is offered).  I'm sure closer accessible parking is available for those that can't walk that distance, but we shouldn't be burning fuel for the majority of employees.

Might as well have a shuttle from the corners of Conestoga Mall.....

Coke
(05-20-2021, 10:26 AM)Coke6pk Wrote:
(05-19-2021, 03:09 PM)cherrypark Wrote: Fairly certain there is a shuttle that runs for the present surface lots up there.

If it was a long distance, a shuttle makes sense... but this shouldn't be a long walk (Not if a direct path is offered).  I'm sure closer accessible parking is available for those that can't walk that distance, but we shouldn't be burning fuel for the majority of employees.

Might as well have a shuttle from the corners of Conestoga Mall.....

Coke

I expect it would change once the new MUT is complete, provided the shuttle shelters there are actually in use and I'm not confusing an old service. But as it stands right now its a really circuitous walk (~1km) even if they are close as the crow flies.
Progress as we near the end of May.

There was some cladding up on the taller side of this
Today
Thanks for all the photos! I'm guessing station park investors are following this project closely
I went by this today and was noticing the foundations for those tall leaning round columns in the Moore/Breithaupt corner of the building. I had forgotten that they have to build that massive overhang supported by those columns. Based on the rendering I think that must be the next floor. That will be interesting to watch how it is done.
I seem to recall recently seeing a little Kitchener legal notice in the Record that a portion of Breithaupt St was being permanently closed between Waterloo St and Moore Ave but I can't for the life of me find it now. I wondered if this had something to do with the way that these buildings will be connected. Would this short section become a private road with public access? I could also be completely misremembering what I read.
Supports started going up today. Photo is from Perimeter's Instagram.

One more support to go.

I'll never get over the prefab faux brickwork that results in huge cracks between each panel that is now standard in construction. Do brick layers even have jobs anymore? It looks ridiculous, as if it was made out of offbrand dollarstore Lego that just doesn't sit right.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »