Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
The Breithaupt Block Phase III | 11 fl | U/C
Just call it Tim Horton - Canadian icon

(02-07-2020, 10:38 PM)Momo26 Wrote: I'm down for Berlin. It's cooler.

Regardless of the name chosen for the city, the main train station at King and the tracks should be called Berlin Hauptbahnhof.
(02-08-2020, 09:58 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 10:38 PM)Momo26 Wrote: I'm down for Berlin. It's cooler.

Regardless of the name chosen for the city, the main train station at King and the tracks should be called Berlin Hauptbahnhof.

So the 'Central Station' on the LRT becomes 'Hbf'?
(02-08-2020, 09:58 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: Regardless of the name chosen for the city, the main train station at King and the tracks should be called Berlin Hauptbahnhof.

Google can have their own station on the other side of the tracks — the Breithauptbahnhof.
I feel like Berlin wouldn't be chosen just because Berlin, Germany is a historically and contemporaneously significant global city. You say, Berlin and you associate it with the millennia of history associated with Berlin, German. But to say Berlin, Canada...people would be confused. We'd no longer have the "clout" we have when you mention Waterloo Region. When you say Waterloo, people tend to know what you mean, at least within the sphere of our influence (physics, engineering, architecture, computer science, web development and even transit). Waterloo gives us more brand recognition, in a manner of speaking.
off topic
Can Waterloo Region produce enough internal candidates to fill the jobs or is it inevitable that people will be relocating here?

I always assumed relocation since I remember hearing that at any given time there is often a hard time finding strong talent.

I imagine it would be a good mix of those relocating here (for their 'career job') and graduates/experienced locals either grabbing their first gig out of UW (or returning home from studying elsewhere) or shifting around from one tech company to another (which is pretty normal in such industry). Given the number of positions that are poised to be available, it is an applicants market, so to speak!
(02-10-2020, 10:58 AM)Spokes Wrote: Can Waterloo Region produce enough internal candidates to fill the jobs or is it inevitable that people will be relocating here?

I always assumed relocation since I remember hearing that at any given time there is often a hard time finding strong talent.

From what I've seen, Google staffs KW heavily with people that can't get US visas. I work for a SF-based company, and we've lost some people who have expiring visas to Google. They end up getting offered KW (or sometimes Montreal).

Google definitely recruits locally, but I'd bet 30-50% will be filled by people new to Canada.
(02-10-2020, 10:58 AM)Spokes Wrote: Can Waterloo Region produce enough internal candidates to fill the jobs or is it inevitable that people will be relocating here?

Roughly half our new employees are coming from outside the region (and, yes, some commute).

I would think they get a great deal of talent from KW and close by, being with the UoW being so close, and likely factored in their decisions to choose KW.

I also think that their current location and the new building going up wasn't a happy accident. It's close to the transit core and VIA and GO. I don't work at Google so I have no idea of the ratio, but when my friend was still working at RIM/BlackBerry, he said the ratio was 50/50. It might be the same at Google but I have zero clue and it's just a guess based on what others have said in tech.
(02-10-2020, 05:14 PM)jeffster Wrote: I also think that their current location and the new building going up wasn't a happy accident. It's close to the transit core and VIA and GO. I don't work at Google so I have no idea of the ratio, but when my friend was still working at RIM/BlackBerry, he said the ratio was 50/50. It might be the same at Google but I have zero clue and it's just a guess based on what others have said in tech.

Google also probably still operates shuttles from Toronto to Kitchener but they really would rather not be doing so (nor should they have to).
(02-10-2020, 07:35 PM)plam Wrote: Google also probably still operates shuttles from Toronto to Kitchener but they really would rather not be doing so (nor should they have to).

Yes, currently two buses. Not secret; you can sit on the street and watch them. And no secret, because it's in every news story, that local site lead Steve Woods is continually advocating for better transit.

I can see how Google would want to stop running buses to/from Toronto, at approx. $600/month per employee to take the GO Train, would they not likely keep it to keep the staff happy?

Coke
I wonder what would be easier or more desirable, a straight subsidy to employees using public transit, or managing a contract with Coach Canada (if it is still them) for the commuter bus service.

It's moot right now, since I would hazard that the factor making Go difficult for employees is not the cost of the pass, but rather the speed and frequency of the service.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »