Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | completed
(06-15-2023, 10:00 AM)skyrise32 Wrote:
(06-15-2023, 08:00 AM)DK519 Wrote: Residents barred from Kitchener condo floor because of problem windows.

Seems like a separate issue, actual broken glass in the guard above.
The peeling is cosmetic and should not stop any occupancy.

I would suspect it was the broken interior facing glass that caused the peeling issue. 

Some of those panels are definitely in places where access to some units would be required to replace them.

(06-15-2023, 12:18 PM)DK519 Wrote:
(06-15-2023, 10:00 AM)skyrise32 Wrote: Seems like a separate issue, actual broken glass in the guard above.
The peeling is cosmetic and should not stop any occupancy.

I would suspect it was the broken interior facing glass that caused the peeling issue. 

Some of those panels are definitely in places where access to some units would be required to replace them.

Where the peeling is happening there is no glass on the inside, just metal backpan and drywall finish. They would all be removed and replaced from the exterior. 
The article states its only for occupancy on the 5th floor which is amenity area and rooftop. Just saying looks like they have multiple issues with windows between broken and peeling.
The building sucks. Who could have guess?
(06-15-2023, 02:33 PM)ac3r Wrote: The building sucks. Who could have guess?

Guess that they would be sold a batch of faulty windows?  Nobody, would be my guess.  But yes, the building sucks.
(06-15-2023, 05:06 PM)panamaniac Wrote:

Guess that they would be sold a batch of faulty windows?  Nobody, would be my guess.  But yes, the building sucks.

Very strange. I would almost thing there is some settling going on which destroyed the windows. But I am not an engineer and according to the builder, this isn't a shoring issue. I have my doubts, but like I said, I am not an expert. Hopefully this is just defective windows.

But they didn't say that though. The entire article is just reiterating their speculations: that they do not believe it was a structural issue and that they believe that it's a manufacturing issue. It very well could be and just looking at them, I can take a good guess that is indeed the case since I deal with building materials and their designs each day in my work and I've seen this happen. And it's indeed less likely to be structural because as a building is being built, it's consistently analyzed and surveyed to ensure it's being built correctly.

It's my guess that they just used very poor quality materials here and that they started peeling very rapidly. It could have been exasperated by some additional influence like excessive heat (ambient temps and/or even just sun being reflected from other buildings) or moisture levels. I would not put it past IN8 making the executive choice to pick bottom shelf building materials to save money, then they ended up with something that is either just a crap product or came from a manufacturer who does not have sufficient quality control. Would be interesting to know who the manufacturer is because then we could look at the section drawings for the particular product and company history, but it's such a non-issue anyway. Just kinda funny that known low quality developers and architects have a brand new building melting.

Faulty windows and a building sucking are not mutually exclusive Tongue

Why are half of those light strips on the Frederick side of the podium are broken and they only rotate like 2 colors, white and red I think. When they first were testing them out they had like 4 or 5 colors I think.
(09-19-2023, 02:36 AM)Square Wrote: Why are half of those light strips on the Frederick side of the podium are broken and they only rotate like 2 colors, white and red I think.  When they first were testing them out they had like 4 or 5 colors I think.

They were purchased from AliExpress? Or maybe they set them for Canada Day and then forgot about them.
Does anyone know how long those silly neon lights on this building have been broken? The strips closest to the intersection haven't been working for some time.
(11-18-2023, 05:38 PM)ac3r Wrote: Does anyone know how long those silly neon lights on this building have been broken?

Shhhh, you might get someone to fix them, and this intersection doesn't need more neon.
(11-18-2023, 05:38 PM)ac3r Wrote: Does anyone know how long those silly neon lights on this building have been broken? The strips closest to the intersection haven't been working for some time.

LED, surely.
One month at least since my post earlier about them. Post 1,388.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »