Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1.33 Average
Elevate Condos (1333 Weber St E) | 15, 15, 12 & 12 fl | U/C

(03-28-2021, 06:14 PM)ac3r Wrote: They've got this excavated below grade now. I'm expecting construction will really speed up over the spring and summer.

Edit: And should this be moved to suburban development? While this project is going up in an older part of the city, it's still 5+ kilometers from downtown. It's nearly as far away as Breslau or the Boardwalk.
We went through this. That is why the forum name was changed to "Urban Areas" from "Downtowns". I agree with you though.
It's beyond the expressway, so it's "suburban", imho.
(03-31-2021, 08:57 AM)panamaniac Wrote: It's beyond the expressway, so it's "suburban", imho.

We had a big discussion about this sometime last year, as a result of which this forum became "urban areas" rather than "downtowns".

And while this project is indeed outside the arc of the expressway, the area really doesn't meet the characteristics of a suburban environment -- I think we had general agreement on that, too.

Anyway, it's just a thread on a forum, and we'll all be able to find it either way. Smile
(03-31-2021, 10:00 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(03-31-2021, 08:57 AM)panamaniac Wrote: It's beyond the expressway, so it's "suburban", imho.

We had a big discussion about this sometime last year, as a result of which this forum became "urban areas" rather than "downtowns".

And while this project is indeed outside the arc of the expressway, the area really doesn't meet the characteristics of a suburban environment -- I think we had general agreement on that, too.

Anyway, it's just a thread on a forum, and we'll all be able to find it either way. Smile
Yup we did and while I also agree that outside the expressway should also be suburban, we generally agreed that this area specifically around Fairview park mall isnt really suburban and has lots of density and developments but I digress. 

They appear to be moving quite quickly here.
Maybe we should have a thread for "extraurban commercial areas"? Smile

Anyway, it's not coming up a lot, for now, at least.
It looked as though there may have been a crane up here when I drove by today

The foundation for the 3 towers along Fergus Avenue is progressing along quite well. They should have a tower crane up by autumn. For a suburban project, this one looks pretty good. Aba Architects did a decent job. It should definitely breath more life into this old stretch of Weber Street.
Since the last renders were taken from what I guess was a PDF file, I'll repost high res versions from Aba Architects. Not sure why this has not had that much attention on WRC, it's a great project outside of the core in an area that desperately needs it!

Overview:

[Image: i3EuNmL.jpg]

Furgus Avenue podium/parking entrance and podium amenities:

[Image: prESvAr.jpg]

Inner courtyard (private):

[Image: fGCTv0k.jpg]

Rooftop amenity (facing the current The Beer Store):

[Image: rRaNxQo.jpg]

Putting green (facing current The Beer Store):

[Image: oxdAf9J.jpg]

[Image: 4LyJqmg.jpg]
All that is needed to improve this stretch of Weber Street is to get rid of all old, trashy hotels, repurpose the Radisson (as I believe they shut down) and figure out what to do with that empty lot between that apartment building and the stores near Freshco. It was evidentially dug up at one point - possibly for a project - but nothing happened and it has been a hole in the ground for decades. A foot bridge or tunnel to cross the highway would be nice to see one day, too, perhaps near Trinity Village LTC home to old King Street or something. It would open much easier foot/bicycle access to retail stores around the area.
(08-03-2021, 10:39 PM)ac3r Wrote: All that is needed to improve this stretch of Weber Street is to get rid of all old, trashy hotels, repurpose the Radisson (as I believe they shut down) and figure out what to do with that empty lot between that apartment building and the stores near Freshco. It was evidentially dug up at one point - possibly for a project - but nothing happened and it has been a hole in the ground for decades. A foot bridge or tunnel to cross the highway would be nice to see one day, too, perhaps near Trinity Village LTC home to old King Street or something. It would open much easier foot/bicycle access to retail stores around the area.

Radisson is still open. Holiday Inn is renovating a portion of their building.

But right, we need to get rid of the higher class motels we have up the street on Weber. Though generally they're OK too, if you have your rabies shots and everything else.
(08-04-2021, 12:51 AM)jeffster Wrote:
(08-03-2021, 10:39 PM)ac3r Wrote: All that is needed to improve this stretch of Weber Street is to get rid of all old, trashy hotels, repurpose the Radisson (as I believe they shut down) and figure out what to do with that empty lot between that apartment building and the stores near Freshco. It was evidentially dug up at one point - possibly for a project - but nothing happened and it has been a hole in the ground for decades. A foot bridge or tunnel to cross the highway would be nice to see one day, too, perhaps near Trinity Village LTC home to old King Street or something. It would open much easier foot/bicycle access to retail stores around the area.

Radisson is still open. Holiday Inn is renovating a portion of their building.

But right, we need to get rid of the higher class motels we have up the street on Weber. Though generally they're OK too, if you have your rabies shots and everything else.

It's not the homeless shelter anymore? When did that change?
(08-04-2021, 06:15 AM)DK519 Wrote:
(08-04-2021, 12:51 AM)jeffster Wrote: Radisson is still open. Holiday Inn is renovating a portion of their building.

It's not the homeless shelter anymore? When did that change?
When the Inn Of Waterloo too over as the COVID Shelter it was in late 2020.
also thinking that the Crosby VW lot would be great for redevelopment. They still have a coming soon sign on Victoria beside Weston bread. If that new dealership does open it leaves a fair size lot at Franklin and Weber.

There's a putting green on the podium??? I never knew I needed this in my life. Are these still for sale?
(08-04-2021, 10:49 AM)Joedelay Highhoe Wrote: There's a putting green on the podium??? I never knew I needed this in my life. Are these still for sale?

I noticed that -- and I was thinking, "How long would that last?" because, as you know, we have a lot of idiots living in the city, and someone is bound to think that taking the 3-wood ("but I didn't use the driver!") to bounce some balls off of highway 8 just because.

FORE!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »