Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
TEK Tower (30 Francis) | 45 fl | U/C
(05-06-2021, 10:14 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Agree, although it would be great to see the Ziggy's building taken down for an expansion of Francis Green ....

The city would need to buy it ... at about $10M/acre ...

(05-06-2021, 09:39 AM)Chris Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 08:17 AM)ktmbtsmrt Wrote: They should make a ground floor unit for Ziggy's and then hopefully when that building (Ziggy's) gets redeveloped, we don't lose an independent downtown retailer. Or make space for a box store so people who live downtown don't have to go to a mall or the boardwalk or the future smartcentre on Victoria to do their 'basic brand/retail' shopping

I can't see Ziggy's moving out of a building they own to rent in in a condo.

Selling the property for something close to $10M could be attractive, though. Many business prefer renting to owning their buildings.
(05-06-2021, 10:32 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 10:14 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Agree, although it would be great to see the Ziggy's building taken down for an expansion of Francis Green ....

The city would need to buy it ... at about $10M/acre ...
Yep.

Wrong thread, but, if it were up to me, the City would also be acquiring property in the block bounded by King, Madison, Duke, and Cameron with a view to a future park/square on the east side of DTK.  To bad they didn’t start years ago ...
Chris Wrote:
ktmbtsmrt Wrote:They should make a ground floor unit for Ziggy's and then hopefully when that building (Ziggy's) gets redeveloped, we don't lose an independent downtown retailer. Or make space for a box store so people who live downtown don't have to go to a mall or the boardwalk or the future smartcentre on Victoria to do their 'basic brand/retail' shopping

I can't see Ziggy's moving out of a building they own to rent in in a condo.

I dunno, if I could sell that land for $10 Million, rent in a new condo building seems pretty inconsequential. 

Coke
(05-06-2021, 11:50 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Wrong thread, but, if it were up to me, the City would also be acquiring property in the block bounded by King, Madison, Duke, and Cameron with a view to a future park/square on the east side of DTK.  To bad they didn’t start years ago ...

20 owners. Probably $40M to acquire all those properties, once they are available.
(05-06-2021, 03:14 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 11:50 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Wrong thread, but, if it were up to me, the City would also be acquiring property in the block bounded by King, Madison, Duke, and Cameron with a view to a future park/square on the east side of DTK.  To bad they didn’t start years ago ...

20 owners. Probably $40M to acquire all those properties, once they are available.
Like I said, too bad they didn’t start years ago ...
(05-06-2021, 11:50 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 10:32 AM)tomh009 Wrote: The city would need to buy it ... at about $10M/acre ...
Yep.

Wrong thread, but, if it were up to me, the City would also be acquiring property in the block bounded by King, Madison, Duke, and Cameron with a view to a future park/square on the east side of DTK.  To bad they didn’t start years ago ...

Someone agrees with you...

"[color=var(--emphasis-color)]Architecture students to study cultural investments in Kitchener core"[/color]

https://outline.com/J7Hg2V

(05-07-2021, 08:42 AM)DK519 Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 11:50 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Yep.

Someone agrees with you...

"[color=var(--emphasis-color)]Architecture students to study cultural investments in Kitchener core"[/color]

https://outline.com/J7Hg2V

Cool - make that two new public spaces rather than one ...  Wink

The reference to KWAG is also interesting - an expansion is much overdue, imho.
I'll be very interested to see what the architecture students at UW can come up with in their design studio. They are some of the most talented architecture students in Canada and Rick Haldenby is a wonderful professor.
If you can scroll in it says 144.4 m
Mechanical penthouses are rarely considered to be part of the building height. It's 134.5 meters. You can read the full design brief here: https://www.kitchener.ca/en/resourcesGen...Report.pdf
(05-09-2021, 10:47 AM)ac3r Wrote: Mechanical penthouses are rarely considered to be part of the building height. It's 134.5 meters. You can read the full design brief here: https://www.kitchener.ca/en/resourcesGen...Report.pdf
Last I checked mechanical penthouses are just as legitimate as structural spires are when it comes to measuring a buildings height.
Well you can tell IN8 to update their information, but they list the building as 134.5 and don't include the mechanics.

(05-09-2021, 06:40 PM)ac3r Wrote: Well you can tell IN8 to update their information, but they list the building as 134.5 and don't include the mechanics.
I wasnt looking for debate or anything. If this building surpassed 150m with the mech penthouse, but the top floor was at 142 for example. This would in fact be considered a skyscraper. I dont really care how tall IN8 says it is and I get them choosing to list the top floor as its height. When it's all said and done the roof of this building is at 144m. Nothing more needs to be said on this
(05-09-2021, 06:40 PM)ac3r Wrote: Well you can tell IN8 to update their information, but they list the building as 134.5 and don't include the mechanics.

Might that be for planning reasons? My understanding is that with regards to zoning the mechanical penthouses are not counted as floors or for height. But they do seem to be for tallest building lists.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »