Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
239 Albert St | 12 fl | U/C
(10-26-2020, 08:16 AM)mastermind Wrote: This is actually a pretty large project going up here quietly.  Imagine how much more hype this would get if it were downtown Kitchener.

12 floors in DTK doesn't get much hype any more!

Crazy how that's happened huh? School of Pharmacy is around 10 I think and that felt huge at one point.
(10-26-2020, 01:21 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(10-26-2020, 08:16 AM)mastermind Wrote: This is actually a pretty large project going up here quietly.  Imagine how much more hype this would get if it were downtown Kitchener.

12 floors in DTK doesn't get much hype any more!

Haha true the height isn't crazy but imagine this filling a parking lot hole like that Perimeter building across from McCabe's did.  I feel like then it would be a pretty big deal! 

Maybe with Covid some of these university developers will shift their focus a bit more downtown-ish in the coming years.
Have university students started becoming more drawn to DTK?
I wonder if the campus that Conestoga College will be opening in Market Square will result in any student oriented housing being built downtown. They were hoping to have 2000 students there within the next 3 years (with 1000 in January 2020, but I think that'll be pushed back with Covid-19), which is a lot of students.

And if I remember right, the UW School of Pharmacy was supposed to have two phases, with a lowrise building going up next to the tower, but I can't remember if that was true or not. Either way, that'd also add another handful of students who would likely enjoy living downtown close to the school.
(10-27-2020, 10:28 AM)Spokes Wrote: Have university students started becoming more drawn to DTK?

Anecdotally, definitely yes. Conversations I've had with co-ops at work it definitely seems like they see DTK as much easier to get to with ION. Also, it's where you've got to go for a lot of tech meetups/events.
(10-27-2020, 11:21 AM)ac3r Wrote: And if I remember right, the UW School of Pharmacy was supposed to have two phases, with a lowrise building going up next to the tower, but I can't remember if that was true or not. Either way, that'd also add another handful of students who would likely enjoy living downtown close to the school.

The low-rise Centre for Family Medicine was built at the same time as the School of Pharmacy.

Very good point, applicable to any development in Northdale. It's all about context... I am patiently and cautiously waiting for this neighbourhood to become vibrant and alive - a natural extension of Uptown. I can dream.
(11-22-2020, 01:19 AM)urbd Wrote:

Very good point, applicable to any development in Northdale. It's all about context... I am patiently and cautiously waiting for this neighbourhood to become vibrant and alive - a natural extension of Uptown. I can dream.

Do you think that will happen?
(11-27-2020, 02:53 PM)Spokes Wrote:
(11-22-2020, 01:19 AM)urbd Wrote: Very good point, applicable to any development in Northdale. It's all about context... I am patiently and cautiously waiting for this neighbourhood to become vibrant and alive - a natural extension of Uptown. I can dream.

Do you think that will happen?

Absolutely... Downtown, Midtown, Uptown and Northdale are becoming the linear "downtown" spine of the soon-to-be amalgamated Kitchener-Waterloo.

I think I saw some pastel green cladding on the podium this afternoon.

Yikes
Who the hell designs these things...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »