Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
I haven't seen this proposal mentioned anywhere yet (although it's possible I've missed it). 22 Weber St W, Kitchener. It's currently a parking lot near Weber/Queen. All the information on the proposal can be found here https://kitchener.sharefile.com/share/vi...YoUIpByWCo

Thanks for sharing! Feels like there has been a little lull in downtown proposals. Good to see there are still things in the works. Obviously this is still a very preliminary sketchup model design. But I really like what they are going for. Balconies are used as a design feature on the one side of the building. Use of only 2 exterior cladding materials. Decent height for that section of Weber. It fit into the cities plan for higher density along weber. It is replacing a parking lot. close to rapid transit stop.  It checks all the boxes for me, other than no retail component. Hopefully this thing moves forward quickly.
Purchase or purpose-built rentals?
The attachments say that the developer is looking for approval of a condominium, but that the ultimate form of tenure remains to be seen.
That and the potential project across the street could make for a big change right there.
Most new builds will register as a condo when they're being built regardless of actual plans. It makes the process much easier down the line if they are converted from rentals.
One thing that I really like about this and the just-starting Weber/Scott/Pearl St project is the expansion of the intensification to the far side of Weber. 242-262 Queen, Arrow 2 and Barra are extending the building intensity (Kitchener) south along Queen, and these two projects are taking it in the opposite direction. DTK, Weber/Scott and Weber/Ontario are also good, bringing more height to the blocks between Duke and Weber.

I was thinking just the other day that the new developments are well distributed around DTK. For a while there a couple of years ago, it seemed that things might get a bit lopsided with the King-Victoria area seeing the bulk of new activity.
Developer proposing 15-storey highrise on Weber Street in downtown Kitchener

A developer is proposing to build a 15-storey residential highrise on Weber Street in downtown Kitchener, on a vacant site now used as a parking lot.
The proposal at 22 Weber St. W., directly opposite Ontario Street, would have 126 units, including 19 barrier-free units with direct frontage and access off Weber Street.
Developer 30 Duke Street Ltd. is applying for zoning and Official Plan changes for the project, which would be a major intensification on the site.
(09-19-2020, 12:00 AM)Acitta Wrote: Developer proposing 15-storey highrise on Weber Street in downtown Kitchener

A developer is proposing to build a 15-storey residential highrise on Weber Street in downtown Kitchener, on a vacant site now used as a parking lot.
The proposal at 22 Weber St. W., directly opposite Ontario Street, would have 126 units, including 19 barrier-free units with direct frontage and access off Weber Street.
Developer 30 Duke Street Ltd. is applying for zoning and Official Plan changes for the project, which would be a major intensification on the site.

It's disappointing but entirely predictable, the NIMBYs are already raring to go..."We don't have enough information"...what do you want to know?

There is literally a giant tower across the street beside a low rise building:

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/22+Webe...12!5m1!1e3

Oh, it's not someone's house? One block away you have a giant 20 story building looking over the very same homes:

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/22+Webe...12!5m1!1e3

This *IS* the character of the neighbourhood...

We need more housing, opposing this makes you an enemy of housing affordability and environmentalism.
NIMBY’s?
(09-19-2020, 06:21 PM)panamaniac Wrote: NIMBY’s?

"Residents are concerned about the proposal,"

"Jaeger has asked the city for more details about the requested zoning changes, shadow studies and elevation drawings that show the transition to other, much lower nearby buildings."
(09-19-2020, 12:00 AM)Acitta Wrote: Developer proposing 15-storey highrise on Weber Street in downtown Kitchener

(09-19-2020, 10:12 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(09-19-2020, 06:21 PM)panamaniac Wrote: NIMBY’s?

"Residents are concerned about the proposal,"

"Jaeger has asked the city for more details about the requested zoning changes, shadow studies and elevation drawings that show the transition to other, much lower nearby buildings."
 That's setting the NIMBY bar pretty low, considering the Record interview may have been the first time they became aware of the project (has the developer been working with the community?  It seems not).

In any event, my reaction is the same as always - does a NIMBY reaction make any actual difference in this case, or will the City approve the project as approved or revised?

(09-20-2020, 09:27 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(09-19-2020, 10:12 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: "Residents are concerned about the proposal,"

That's setting the NIMBY bar pretty low, considering the Record interview may have been the first time they became aware of the project (has the developer been working with the community?  It seems not).

In any event, my reaction is the same as always - does a NIMBY reaction make any actual difference in this case, or will the City approve the project as approved or revised?

Something else to consider: the news tends to frame everything as a 2-sided dispute. You could have an article about the opening of a new science museum and they might drag out a creationist to say their piece.

So it’s hard to say just from the article what’s really going on.

Although I have to say that even being “concerned” is somewhat questionable in that location. It’s right on a main street between many other large buildings; it’s absurd to expect it to be low-rise. That being said, if somebody lives in a nearby house (there are some on adjacent streets), then being “concerned” that their house will be shadow most of the day is reasonable, although I think it unlikely that would actually happen to a degree that would warrant scaling back the project.
Although, again, do residents' complaints about shadows have much impact on whether or not the City approves a project (what's the track record?)?  In recent years, I seem to recall that it was raised in the context of the project next to MacGregor School's playground.  That project is now under construction (revised due to neighbourhood complaints?).  Shadowing may also have been raised in the context of Breithaupt Block Phase III, but the key factor (iirc) was the proximity of the proposed parking garage wall to the neighbouring yards, something that was resolved through negotiation, and the project is now under construction.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »