Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | completed
(09-01-2020, 05:15 PM)jgsz Wrote: September 1, 2020

DTK this afternoon.  It looks like the crane will have to be raised soon.
It looks like there putting forms up to finish the podium in the bottom of the picture.

CTV has identified the deceased from the car explosion; apparently he was involved in a family court matter with his estranged wife. https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/man-killed-...-1.5088344
(09-02-2020, 12:00 PM)KevinL Wrote: CTV has identified the deceased from the car explosion; apparently he was involved in a family court matter with his estranged wife. https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/man-killed-...-1.5088344

Wow, that took a while.  So who was he?
CBC has a bit more info. Looks like violent domestic abuse and mental health issues.

Quote:"Those who knew Keith have lost his smile and deep insight into the world around us. He was known for the great love he bore for his children," read the online notice of the service.

According to court documents, Sandford had been in matrimonial litigation for about two years. There had been allegations of spousal violence and questions about the state of his mental health.
What do these last few posts have to do with the Duke Tower? They sound more like idle gossip about someone you didn't even know.
(09-03-2020, 01:02 PM)CedarHillAlum Wrote: What do these last few posts have to do with the Duke Tower? They sound more like idle gossip about someone you didn't even know.
They don't, they have to do with the car bomb thay went off in front of the building. Whether that makes it applicable to the thread or not, I dont know.
That's just how the internet works, haha. Threads will get off topic at times. But yeah this has nothing to do with the tower, apart from the fact it happened across the street.

I thought it went off in front of the court house.
The original tounge-in-cheek thought was maybe the (what looks be bad at the moment) decal wall went up in flames on the Frederick side. Turned out that wasn't the case. Then we just wanted to see the story through. I think this much deviation - to close a loop - is acceptable in a thread.
Duke Tower is starting to get a finished look from the street. Some windows and siding on the first floors.

A festival of spandrel ...
Yikes. This might somehow turn out even worse than I thought from the renders.
I drove by this week and looked at it. You know, In person, I am liking it..

DTK is going to be a tall building, which is great. But neither the Frederick or Duke (podium) facades are really striking my fancy.
A shot of DTK from this morning:

[Image: c3Uyql0.jpg]

That facade makes me want to vomit.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »