Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The COVID-19 pandemic
(09-07-2020, 09:17 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(09-07-2020, 09:08 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Great to put some numbers on it. FWIW, the US GDP (the posterchild country for failing to combat the disease) dropped by 32-35%.

I believe that would be on an annualized basis, rather than on the quarter.

I do think that's right. A comparable number would be a drop of 9.5%.

The Q3 numbers will be more interesting as they will show the speed of recovery in different countries.

(09-08-2020, 10:14 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(09-07-2020, 09:17 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I believe that would be on an annualized basis, rather than on the quarter.

I do think that's right. A comparable number would be a drop of 9.5%.

The Q3 numbers will be more interesting as they will show the speed of recovery in different countries.

That's wishful thinking. At this point, I'm not even sure we're going to make it into the school year, our numbers are starting to spike again.
MONDAY 2020-09-07

Waterloo Region reported one new case today (0.1% of the total and 3.6% of the active cases). New cases are now averaging 7.1% of active cases over the past seven days. 17 new cases over that week.

Ontario reported 190 new cases today, another recent high, with a seven-day average of 149. 119 recoveries and no deaths translated to an increase of 71 active cases and a current total of 1,461. A weekly total change of +240. 23,725 tests for a 0.80% positivity rate . The positivity rate is averaging 0.57% for the past seven days.

The new cases are 0.4% of the total and 13.0% of the number of active cases. New cases averaging 11.3% of actives over the past seven days.

ICU patient count is at 14 (+0).
  • 60 cases in Toronto:2.0 per 100K population
  • 57 cases in Peel: 5.7 per 100K
  • 25 cases in Ottawa: 2.5 per 100K
  • 17 cases in York: 1.6 per 100K population
  • 1 case in Waterloo: 0.3 per 100K (based on regional reporting)

The top four regions account for 129 of the total 190 new cases.
TUESDAY 2020-09-08

Waterloo Region reported four new cases today (0.3% of the total and 12.5% of the active cases). New cases are now averaging 7.6% of active cases over the past seven days. 17 new cases over that week.

Ontario reported 185 new cases today with a seven-day average of 159, shooting up over the 150 mark for the first time since July. 119 recoveries and no deaths translated to an increase of 66 active cases and a current total of 1,527, another barrier broken through. A weekly total change of +287 active cases. 20,929 tests for a 0.88% positivity rate, the highest since June. The positivity rate is averaging 0.63% for the past seven days.

The new cases are 0.4% of the total and 12.1% of the number of active cases. New cases averaging 11.7% of actives over the past seven days.

ICU patient count is at 17 (+3).
  • 48 cases in Toronto: 1.6 per 100K population
  • 42 cases in Peel: 4.2 per 100K
  • 37 cases in Ottawa: 3.7 per 100K
  • 19 cases in York: 1.9 per 100K population
  • 1 case in Waterloo: 0.3 per 100K (based on regional reporting)

The top four regions account for 146 of the total 185 new cases.

Overall, we are very much trending in the wrong direction. New case counts are double that of August and there are nearly twice as many active cases. Positivity rate is approaching 1% indicating that there are likely more cases out there. Hospital numbers are trending up.

On the positive side, the local numbers are still stable with the active cases hovering around the 30 mark. However, the four trouble spots are not showing any indication of getting things under control (which Windsor and Sarnia were able to do), and their totals are still trending up.

(09-05-2020, 05:27 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(09-05-2020, 03:36 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Not if it fits properly, along your nose and cheeks. With the proper fit, the humid air (when exhaling) will exit on the sides or bottom rather than the top. My latest (fabric) mask has far less fogging issues than what I was using before.

It definitely depends on the mask, but most, including all I have tried have a lot of leakage up the top of the mask.

Tips:

1) Pull the mask high up on your nose.  Place the glasses on top of the mask and not above the mask.  No more fogging.

2) Take a 1/2 kleenex and fold into a thin strip.  Place this against your nose/cheeks at the metal clip in the mask.  No more fogging.

(I wear glasses very infrequently, but sunglasses a lot.  I use option 1, but have been told by a co-worker about option 2)

BONUS TIP: In the winter, if you walk into a house backwards, your glasses won't fog/ will fog only slightly.

Coke
(09-08-2020, 01:41 PM)Coke6pk Wrote:
(09-05-2020, 05:27 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: It definitely depends on the mask, but most, including all I have tried have a lot of leakage up the top of the mask.

Tips:

1) Pull the mask high up on your nose.  Place the glasses on top of the mask and not above the mask.  No more fogging.

2) Take a 1/2 kleenex and fold into a thin strip.  Place this against your nose/cheeks at the metal clip in the mask.  No more fogging.

(I wear glasses very infrequently, but sunglasses a lot.  I use option 1, but have been told by a co-worker about option 2)

BONUS TIP: In the winter, if you walk into a house backwards, your glasses won't fog/ will fog only slightly.

Coke

Lol...as someone who wears glasses to see, and also glasses with a mask in winter, this seems like umm...wishful thinking.

Getting a mask with a good seal at the nose would probably help a lot, many masks including the fabric masks I have and also unfortunately the disposable ones I bought don't actually have a metal strip.

Using Kleenex to fill the gaps probably would help, but it's awfully inconvenient sounding.

Putting glasses on top of the mask, won't help unless the glasses hold down the mask, mine do not fit that tightly around my nose, some sunglasses may.

As for walking into your house backwards, it may delay the fogging, because you will still stay in the cold air slightly longer, but eventually you're going to get the warm air from the house in your face, and then you will get fogging.

But hey, if these tips work for you, all the power to you...
(09-08-2020, 01:54 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Lol...as someone who wears glasses to see, and also glasses with a mask in winter, this seems like umm...wishful thinking.

Getting a mask with a good seal at the nose would probably help a lot, many masks including the fabric masks I have and also unfortunately the disposable ones I bought don't actually have a metal strip.

If you have someone in your household that can sew, and a sewing machine ... I found that the biggest difference was from a sufficiently stiff metal support at the top that would retain its shape (and which you have manually adjusted to the shape of your nose and cheeks). Having used various stiffeners, I went all out and used a (straightened) large paper clip; this does not lose its shape. It works for me, it might or might not work for you, though.

In today's local COVID-19 edition of the Darwin Awards:

https://www.therecord.com/news/crime/202...erloo.html
100 people at a party? Sure, what could possibly go wrong during a pandemic?

https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...-mask.html
Was it really worth $1000 and a one-year flying ban to spend a few hours not wearing a mask?
(09-08-2020, 09:48 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(09-08-2020, 01:54 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Lol...as someone who wears glasses to see, and also glasses with a mask in winter, this seems like umm...wishful thinking.

If you have someone in your household that can sew, and a sewing machine ... I found that the biggest difference was from a sufficiently stiff metal support at the top that would retain its shape (and which you have manually adjusted to the shape of your nose and cheeks). Having used various stiffeners, I went all out and used a (straightened) large paper clip; this does not lose its shape. It works for me, it might or might not work for you, though.

Good tips.

Technically I can sew, although I've never made anything as complicated as a mask Tongue.

I may try inserting something into the masks we do have, although I might also be interested in trying to find a more...breathable...fabric, as is, none of the air gets filtered because the fabric is nearly air-tight.
WEDNESDAY 2020-09-09

Waterloo Region reported five new cases today (0.3% of the total and 14.7% of the active cases). New cases are now averaging 9.2% of active cases over the past seven days. 34 active cases (+2).

20 new cases over that week, and only one day with zero new cases; better than provincial data but still not great.

Ontario reported 149 new cases today with a seven-day average of 162, still going up. 136 recoveries and no deaths translated to an increase of 13 active cases and a current total of 1,540. A weekly total change of +304 active cases, or about 25% higher than a week ago. 17,605 tests for a 0.85% positivity rate. The positivity rate is averaging 0.67% for the past seven days.

The new cases are 0.3% of the total and 9.7% of the number of active cases. New cases averaging 11.5% of actives over the past seven days.

ICU patient count is at 15 (-2).
  • 50 cases in Toronto: 1.6 per 100K population
  • 41 cases in Peel: 4.1 per 100K
  • 16 cases in Ottawa: 1.6 per 100K
  • 13 cases in York: 1.3 per 100K population
  • 5 cases in Waterloo: 0.8 per 100K (based on regional reporting)

The top four regions account for 120 of the total 149 new cases, or 81%.
(09-08-2020, 09:50 PM)tomh009 Wrote: In today's local COVID-19 edition of the Darwin Awards:

https://www.therecord.com/news/crime/202...erloo.html
100 people at a party? Sure, what could possibly go wrong during a pandemic?

https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...-mask.html
Was it really worth $1000 and a one-year flying ban to spend a few hours not wearing a mask?

These people really don't care. Literally. They don't give a shite and if they had to do it again all over, they would do the exact same thing. This is why we can't ever have nice things, is attitudes.
My current preferred masks come from Old Navy. The latest ones have widgets of a sort on the strap that allow the size to be adjusted. Like the thingies on a wii-mote to adjust strap length, or on hoodie strings. I can never remember what those things are called. Also, the Old Navy masks have really good face coverage. I'm a large person (6'2", ~260lbs) who wears glasses basically all day, and these ones especially fit really well on my head and face. My nose and chin are both well-covered and things stay very stable and because there's a good length of string the bands don't Alfred E. Neumann my ears.

Hanes makes masks that have a thin metal bar for the bridge of the nose, like are found in disposables. They are not perfect seals, and the bands are too short for my preference, but with one of those ear-saver things they do quite well. My teenage son (wears glasses, similar body structure to mine though at like 80% scale) strongly prefers these.
Many good mask tips here guys, thanks for sharing!

THURSDAY 2020-09-10

Waterloo Region reported nine new cases today (0.6% of the total and 24.3% of the active cases), the most since late July. New cases are now averaging 12.7% of active cases over the past seven days. 37 active cases (+3).

29 new cases over that week, and and going up every day. What's going on?

Ontario reported 170 new cases today with a seven-day average of 167, still going up. 142 recoveries and one death translated to an increase of 27 active cases and a current total of 1,567. A weekly total change of +318 active cases. 24,669 tests for a 0.69% positivity rate. The positivity rate is averaging 0.70% for the past seven days.

The new cases are 0.4% of the total and 10.8% of the number of active cases. New cases averaging 11.6% of actives over the past seven days.

ICU patient count is at 15 (-2).
  • 55 cases in Toronto: 1.8 per 100K population
  • 28 cases in York: 2.8 per 100K population
  • 22 cases in Peel: 2.2 per 100K
  • 13 cases in Durham: 2.0 per 100K population
  • 12 cases in Ottawa: 1.2 per 100K
  • 9 cases in Waterloo: 1.5 per 100K (based on regional reporting)

The top five regions account for 130 of the total 170 new cases, or 76%. And Waterloo Region is oh-so-close to making the list.
This is getting depressing. Covid-19 seems relentless even though most of us are doing what we can to stop the spread.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »