Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cycling in Waterloo Region
(09-02-2020, 08:11 AM)timc Wrote:
(09-01-2020, 09:00 PM)ac3r Wrote: I'm surprised they did not put metal bars around the ends like a lot of other crossings have. They don't exactly provide protection, but they make the island a lot more visible to drivers.

Years ago when I was on the active transportation committee, I was told that they stopped putting those metal bars in because they are an impalement risk.

I mean, I knew it would be a car centric reason for the change Tongue.

I do believe they are bad for pedestrians though, given they both limit mobility (just try to maneuver a bike, stroller, or wheelchair through those things, some of them are pretty awkward), and limit the options for escaping a driver out of control, while providing no benefit.

(09-02-2020, 01:18 AM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(09-01-2020, 09:40 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Out of curiosity, is your objection to planter barriers based on the implementation or something else?

The picture shows a pretty poor implementation (I mean, for one, it's missing the green), but on the plus sides the planters are wide, much wider than a curb and bollard, and they are also a fairly large vertical obstruction, it presents the driver with a much more solid looking barrier than a bollard or god forbid an idiotic roll curb.  And because it is a vertical obstruction, it may also lower speeds more than a curb in the same place would.

As safe infrastructure I don't oppose them, as long as they get implemented properly. And yeah, I was confused about the ones in the photo, I can't even tell for sure if they have dirt yet...

It looks to me like the dirt has been spilled from one or more of them, in fact...
Some dingbat was driving right on the bike lanes today on Stirling, between Charles and Courtland. I was actually impressed how he straddled the lane perfectly while driving. But either way, it seems that some education will be needed to teach people how to drive where there are bike lanes. I am not a huge fan of bike lanes being in the middle of live traffic and in this case, a bus lane. I'd still be using the sidewalk, just saying.
(09-02-2020, 10:56 PM)jeffster Wrote: Some dingbat was driving right on the bike lanes today on Stirling, between Charles and Courtland. I was actually impressed how he straddled the lane perfectly while driving. But either way, it seems that some education will be needed to teach people how to drive where there are bike lanes. I am not a huge fan of bike lanes being in the middle of live traffic and in this case, a bus lane. I'd still be using the sidewalk, just saying.

I haven't been out there, I'd be curious to see what the situation is, not sure what you mean the bike lane is in the middle of live traffic and a bus lane?

That being said, I do think we simply need higher standards for driving. Basically the justice system in our society is loathed to remove someone's license (in part because it causes real hardship, because we are stupid about transportation policy), but there is a large portion of the population that lacks the ability and temperment to drive safely--this isn't something education can solve. In any other licensing scheme out there, people lose their license (or never get one) for proving themselves incapable of operating safely...whether it's forklift, airplane, doctor, driving is the ONLY exception.  We see the results of this licensing choice in the thousands of Canadians that die each year on our roads, vs. the 1000s that aren't killed in forklift/general aviation/malpractice incidents.

Basically I'm saying education can help some, but I don't see it being too effective until we choose to implement the other side of a licensing policy which is enforcement. Also, I'm sick and tired of people deluding themselves into believing cyclists need licenses....

Boy this turned into a rant...long story short, I will have to walk or bike down to Stirling and see what they've done down there.
(09-02-2020, 11:09 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(09-02-2020, 10:56 PM)jeffster Wrote: Some dingbat was driving right on the bike lanes today on Stirling, between Charles and Courtland. I was actually impressed how he straddled the lane perfectly while driving. But either way, it seems that some education will be needed to teach people how to drive where there are bike lanes. I am not a huge fan of bike lanes being in the middle of live traffic and in this case, a bus lane. I'd still be using the sidewalk, just saying.

I haven't been out there, I'd be curious to see what the situation is, not sure what you mean the bike lane is in the middle of live traffic and a bus lane?

Stirling was repainted recently (within a few weeks or so, and it looked very fresh yesterday) with a bike lane in the style that also defines street parking (or there was a car parked in the bus lane, which is very plausible). The great style that lets us get doored on one side while being sideswiped on the other. I'm not sure if there's a name for it.
(09-03-2020, 07:50 AM)robdrimmie Wrote:
(09-02-2020, 11:09 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I haven't been out there, I'd be curious to see what the situation is, not sure what you mean the bike lane is in the middle of live traffic and a bus lane?

Stirling was repainted recently (within a few weeks or so, and it looked very fresh yesterday) with a bike lane in the style that also defines street parking (or there was a car parked in the bus lane, which is very plausible). The great style that lets us get doored on one side while being sideswiped on the other. I'm not sure if there's a name for it.

Dooring lane I think is the traditional...that's disappointing...
See Strasburg, form Ottawa to Bleams. That went in 20 years ago, and they're still doing it.

(09-03-2020, 12:02 PM)KevinL Wrote: See Strasburg, form Ottawa to Bleams. That went in 20 years ago, and they're still doing it.

Ewww....I thought they were doing better than that (and Lorraine) now.
(09-03-2020, 02:04 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(09-03-2020, 12:02 PM)KevinL Wrote: See Strasburg, form Ottawa to Bleams. That went in 20 years ago, and they're still doing it.

Ewww....I thought they were doing better than that (and Lorraine) now.

Margaret Ave from Breithaupt to Union is the same design for most of that stretch.
Also recently done on Marsland Drive.
(09-04-2020, 10:37 AM)timc Wrote: Also recently done on Marsland Drive.

I haven't seen Marsland Dr. in a while, I knew it was getting bike lanes, but I was not sure how it would look, but I haven't been there in a while.  But it is in City of Waterloo.

Margaret also isn't a new bike lane, it's been there more than a couple years.

That being said, I went and took a look, there are definitely a lot of problems, but it's nowhere near as bad as Lorraine or Strasburg...which both look like someone doodled on the road, the lanes just squiggle every which way with very little space....the paint on Stirling is far better, with clearly defined parking, and a (too narrow) buffer between parked cars and the bike lane.  The same problematic design, but implementes better.
(09-04-2020, 11:06 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(09-04-2020, 10:37 AM)timc Wrote: Also recently done on Marsland Drive.

I haven't seen Marsland Dr. in a while, I knew it was getting bike lanes, but I was not sure how it would look, but I haven't been there in a while.  But it is in City of Waterloo.

That being said, I went and took a look, there are definitely a lot of problems, but it's nowhere near as bad as Lorraine or Strasburg...which both look like someone doodled on the road, the lanes just squiggle every which way with very little space....the paint on Stirling is far better, with clearly defined parking, and a (too narrow) buffer between parked cars and the bike lane.  The same problematic design, but implementes better.

Dan, you should try riding Margaret. It's sketchy and every couple blocks it feels like the lanes shoot you into traffic to make way for parking. Every time I ride those sections I think I'm going to get rear ended. Then the pedestrian island between the community center and GT gets drivers squeezing you because they can't roll off the throttle and slow down for 3 seconds. (edit, by "take a look" I wasn't sure if you used Google or rode it, I assumed Google)

Lorraine is also pretty gross but I find it less busy and I encounter less large vehicles using that road. (admittedly I've ridden Lorraine way less than Margaret)
(09-04-2020, 12:57 PM)Chris Wrote:
(09-04-2020, 11:06 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: I haven't seen Marsland Dr. in a while, I knew it was getting bike lanes, but I was not sure how it would look, but I haven't been there in a while.  But it is in City of Waterloo.

Dan, you should try riding Margaret. It's sketchy and every couple blocks it feels like the lanes shoot you into traffic to make way for parking. Every time I ride those sections I think I'm going to get rear ended. Then the pedestrian island between the community center and GT gets drivers squeezing you because they can't roll off the throttle and slow down for 3 seconds. (edit, by "take a look" I wasn't sure if you used Google or rode it, I assumed Google)

Lorraine is also pretty gross but I find it less busy and I encounter less large vehicles using that road. (admittedly I've ridden Lorraine way less than Margaret)

I ride Margaret frequently, I am not defending it, I too find it quite poor. I actually rode it today and had an unpleasant intereaction with a dangerous aggressive driver. My point is simply that city designs have evolved a little over time, Margaret is old enough not to use newer better (albeit still flawed) designs.

Another person hit by a driver while bicycling.

I have never understood why any sections of the extremely busy Northfield drive were marked as a cycling route.

https://www.kitchenertoday.com/local-new...le-2726489
(09-19-2020, 02:56 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Another person hit by a driver while bicycling.

I have never understood why any sections of the extremely busy Northfield drive were marked as a cycling route.

https://www.kitchenertoday.com/local-new...le-2726489

a. Is that part really marked as a cycling route?
b. That section isn't that busy, but is driven at highway speeds.
c. There isn't a lot of information, but visibility at 9 pm isn't great, and it makes me wonder if the bike had proper lighting.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »