Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One Young (née Mayfair Hotel) | 5 fl | Complete
(Some of the) glass is in! You can see the brick effect on the glass now, although it does depend on the viewing angle.

Neat! And I must say this project is turning out be such a pleasant surprise! No matter how it ends up at this point, I really admire them trying something new with this building to add visual interest.
I imagine it would show up better with softer lighting (such as an overcast day).
I love it. At a glance it looks like you're seeing a brick building in the reflection... then you realize the reflection is City Hall. It really makes you look twice and ponder what is reality lol.
Wow.  I've been waiting to see this.  

I think this will also look interesting back lit at night and the strength of that image will really vary on the time of day and viewing.  

Easily the most ambitious design in the region with really awesome results.  Hope it has an interesting occupant or two to announce soon.
(06-18-2020, 11:17 AM)mastermind Wrote: I love it.  At a glance it looks like you're seeing a brick building in the reflection... then you realize the reflection is City Hall.  It really makes you look twice and ponder what is reality lol.

I was convinced that was what I was seeing.  I think I was past double take and into triple takes.  Very impressed.
Ghost of the Mayfair.

Which reminds me - do we know if the new building will also be known as The Mayfair?

Another view of the cool "ghost brick glass"

Really nice improvement over the old hotel. I'd imagine they'll find great tenants for this place. Looking forward to seeing that side of King St all polished up.
Wow what a trip. Will have to see this one up close...
The view this morning.

It's not done yet, but it looks like it's going to be nostalgic and contemporary at the same time.  Not an easy trick to pull off.  The black band between the second and third floor glass seems unfortunate, or perhaps it too will be covered in the fritted glass?
(06-19-2020, 09:38 AM)panamaniac Wrote: It's not done yet, but it looks like it's going to be nostalgic and contemporary at the same time.  Not an easy trick to pull off.  The black band between the second and third floor glass seems unfortunate, or perhaps it too will be covered in the fritted glass?
Based on the renderings and the mullions I think that there will be glass spandrel panels added to fill the section between floors. The glass looks great in person.

(06-19-2020, 09:56 AM)westwardloo Wrote:
(06-19-2020, 09:38 AM)panamaniac Wrote: It's not done yet, but it looks like it's going to be nostalgic and contemporary at the same time.  Not an easy trick to pull off.  The black band between the second and third floor glass seems unfortunate, or perhaps it too will be covered in the fritted glass?
Based on the renderings and the mullions I think that there will be glass spandrel panels added to fill the section between floors. The glass looks great in person.

I think you're right.  If you look at tomh009's post #506 you can see that there are smaller glass units where the brick pattern has a horizontal layout and those would likely fit into the sections between floors.
(06-19-2020, 09:56 AM)westwardloo Wrote:
I walked by the building yesterday and even with only a small section finished, it looks stunning.  What a brilliant idea!  Are there other examples of buildings in nearby cities where  brick patterned glass had been used?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »