Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Restaurant casualties of COVID-19
(04-21-2020, 06:35 PM)Acitta Wrote:
(04-21-2020, 06:12 PM)plam Wrote: I usually have no patience for those who claim that LRT killed their business but for the Duke Food Block it may actually be somewhat true particularly because deliveries are so hard...
I think that it is mostly the lack of foot traffic along Duke St. I think that those restaurants have been surviving on lunch time traffic from the courthouse and other surrounding businesses. Most people walking along King St. probably wouldn't spontaneously decide to eat there.

You speak as if the streets are segregated. Downtown Kitchener is tiny...it's like downtown Stratford in size. People who work on King Street know there are restaurants on Duke Street. Anyone downtown knows there is a selection of hole-in-the-wall takeout places on Duke Street. There is an LRT stop a block and a half away, which should theoretically increase customers to these restaurants. Covid-19 aside, if they're struggling, it's sure as hell not due to the LRT or being a literal city block away from the "main" street. Maybe, a burger store and chain Mexican restaurant just aren't interesting?

Back alley deliveries is what other downtowns have. And Kitchener has some back alleys but not a complete set.
(04-22-2020, 06:45 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(04-21-2020, 06:35 PM)Acitta Wrote: I think that it is mostly the lack of foot traffic along Duke St. I think that those restaurants have been surviving on lunch time traffic from the courthouse and other surrounding businesses. Most people walking along King St. probably wouldn't spontaneously decide to eat there.

You speak as if the streets are segregated. Downtown Kitchener is tiny...it's like downtown Stratford in size. People who work on King Street know there are restaurants on Duke Street. Anyone downtown knows there is a selection of hole-in-the-wall takeout places on Duke Street. There is an LRT stop a block and a half away, which should theoretically increase customers to these restaurants. Covid-19 aside, if they're struggling, it's sure as hell not due to the LRT or being a literal city block away from the "main" street. Maybe, a burger store and chain Mexican restaurant just aren't interesting?

I think you underestimate how much walking traffic contributes to mindshare.  I live downtown, before COVID I walked king daily, I remember every restaurant because I pass them all the time. I rarely even remember the duke food block exists. 

I remember restaurants on Charles, but I live on Ontario, I doubt I would if I didn’t walk by.

It’s not a matter of them being too far away, it’s a matter of out of sight out of mind.
Critical mass is what's lacking. If there were five small places with different offerings, I think they would be healthy. Burgers, Indian, Bread Heads and Holy Guacamole are enough to attract a solid lunch-time crowd. But the Indian was always half-hearted at best, and now we're down to burgers and a variety store. Unfortunate, I liked the Food Block concept, but it's on life support now.
(04-22-2020, 08:33 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(04-22-2020, 06:45 PM)ac3r Wrote: You speak as if the streets are segregated. Downtown Kitchener is tiny...it's like downtown Stratford in size. People who work on King Street know there are restaurants on Duke Street. Anyone downtown knows there is a selection of hole-in-the-wall takeout places on Duke Street. There is an LRT stop a block and a half away, which should theoretically increase customers to these restaurants. Covid-19 aside, if they're struggling, it's sure as hell not due to the LRT or being a literal city block away from the "main" street. Maybe, a burger store and chain Mexican restaurant just aren't interesting?

I think you underestimate how much walking traffic contributes to mindshare.  I live downtown, before COVID I walked king daily, I remember every restaurant because I pass them all the time. I rarely even remember the duke food block exists. 

I remember restaurants on Charles, but I live on Ontario, I doubt I would if I didn’t walk by.

It’s not a matter of them being too far away, it’s a matter of out of sight out of mind.

Even true in malls. You want the spot everyone walks by.
Here's confirmation about Chainsaw:

https://www.waterloochronicle.ca/news-st...-covid-19/
Another possible casualty, but this one looks to be a landlord/Tennant dispute.

https://www.waterloochronicle.ca/news-st...jane-bond/

I tried many times to try out this Duke Food block but I guess they were only open for lunch? many times I've gone to shows at the Registry Theater and ended up eating at Exclamtions because all the other restaurants closed at 5.
The Chainsaw featured in today's Maclean's article about the economic impact of COVID-19 - sounds like the closure wasn't as amicable as many had assumed: https://www.macleans.ca/economy/the-econ...us-canada/
Nando's Kitchener is Closing, among other locations in Canada. https://www.narcity.com/eat-drink/ca/21-...le-you-can
Timeless Cafe and Bakery closing for good
East Side Mario's in the University plaza has permanently closed. https://www.waterloochronicle.ca/news-st...rmanently/
(05-29-2020, 11:35 PM)TMKM94 Wrote: East Side Mario's in the University plaza has permanently closed. https://www.waterloochronicle.ca/news-st...rmanently/

This was mentioned on the news yesterday and apparently the closure was planned before covid-19. I think the reality is that East Side Mario’s isn’t the restaurant it once was. Though their bread and salad was still really good.

I just assumed it was because of Covid 19, It makes sense it was already planned. That location of East Side Mario's was the Second last in KW.
I haven't seen an official announcement yet, but looks like B@TheMuseum is closed permanently.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »