Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
General Suburban Updates and Rumours
By "mixed use," they must mean commercial and retail. As in what's happening directly next door, across Bridge street. Seems like an exorbitant amount of parking for these uses, all are single storey, no indication that street-adjacent means street-accessible (and neither street is very pedestrian at this point). I can't imagine what "innovative" means in this context.

“Innovative” is just a buzz word. It’s an adjective without any real meaning.

I think we’d collectively be better-served if this piece of land continued to be cash-cropped. It’s kind of sad to see something so typically suburban and hostile to humans directly adjacent to an iXpress stop.
CTV just reported that Pioneer Plaza is getting a "major face lift" and "forcing businesses out", but didn't provide any more information than that. Anyone know anything more?

With some luck, maybe that Zehrs will be modernized. They're still using the logo from 2 rebrands ago, and the place is digusting-looking inside.

Edit: Er, scratch the no information part, they did provide this (barely legible) photo

[Image: Es2cNEM.jpg]

So it seems the entire plaza is being completely trashed and rebuilt, save for Tim Hortons and Dairy Queen. Hm. On one hand, I'm happy it's being modernized, but on the other, it's going from being a Plaza in the center of a parking lot to a Plaza surrounding a parking lot, with its back to the street. Quite unfortunate.
2-3 new retail units going up on Fairway road

Attached Files Image(s)

(04-13-2016, 05:57 PM)GtwoK Wrote: CTV just reported that Pioneer Plaza is getting a "major face lift" and "forcing businesses out", but didn't provide any more information than that. Anyone know anything more?

With some luck, maybe that Zehrs will be modernized. They're still using the logo from 2 rebrands ago, and the place is digusting-looking inside.

Edit: Er, scratch the no information part, they did provide this (barely legible) photo

[Image: Es2cNEM.jpg]

So it seems the entire plaza is being completely trashed and rebuilt, save for Tim Hortons and Dairy Queen. Hm. On one hand, I'm happy it's being modernized, but on the other, it's going from being a Plaza in the center of  a parking lot to a Plaza surrounding a parking lot, with its back to the street. Quite unfortunate.

I assume this is related to the major building/renovation plan announced by Loblaws yesterday?
Hm, link? Haven't heard anything about that.

I worry this new plaza will suffer the same fate as Sportsworld Crossing.
(04-13-2016, 06:38 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Hm, link? Haven't heard anything about that.

I worry this new plaza will suffer the same fate as Sportsworld Crossing.

I can't get a news link to stick for some reason, but it was widely reported (CBC, G&M) that Loblaws is spending $1B this year to build 50 new stores and renovate 150 existing stores this year.

So a rebuilt grocery store will probably mean a rebrand to No Frills or Valu-Mart. Which is reasonable fr the location.
Why would it mean a rebrand? Zehrs is by far their favoured brand in the region and Valumart is only really used for franchise operations as far as I know.
(04-13-2016, 07:44 PM)Elmira Guy Wrote: Loblaw to spend $1B to open 50 new stores, renovate 150 others

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business/lob...-1.3531578

Why are you posting this in 'General Suburban Updates'? Maybe one of these stores will be in KW's urban core. Maybe one will the long-awaited downtown Kitchener grocery store.

Okay, enough wishful thinking.
(04-13-2016, 06:18 PM)Lens Wrote: 2-3 new retail units going up on Fairway road

What's planned for Fairway Plaza(Click on Site plan PDF)
(04-13-2016, 10:19 PM)TMKM94 Wrote:
(04-13-2016, 06:18 PM)Lens Wrote: 2-3 new retail units going up on Fairway road

What's planned for Fairway Plaza(Click on Site plan PDF)

Aw man, I was getting excited that they were flush against the road, and were more pedestrian accessible. Alas, they are still behind a small parking lot!
Interesting. I had thought Starbucks might move over but it didn't look like there was rooms for a drive thru. The addition of Nando's should be interesting, I'd also been wondering when they might open up shop here. I really doing see them splitting the space up into such small units though, buildings don't have a large footprint.

Also, I've heard a rumour that the Fairway Winners will be re-branded as a Marshall's/Homesense which really doesn't mean much.

@ MidTowner

Because GTwoK asked for a link to the story and panamaniac had issues with posting a link. Unless I misunderstood, which is possible.
@ Elmira Guy

Nope, as usual it was I who misunderstood. I saw a link, and didn't read up to see that it was responding to a request.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »