Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
TEK Tower (30 Francis) | 45 fl | U/C
It's probably to minimize rain and snow getting inside. There's no point in putting windows. Bricks also provide better energy efficiency compared to windows. It also saves labour and costs with window cleaning.

And really, nobody is going to park their car and linger around a parking garage to look out and admire the view.

(08-11-2024, 12:12 PM)ac3r Wrote: It's probably to minimize rain and snow getting inside. There's no point in putting windows. Bricks also provide better energy efficiency compared to windows. It also saves labour and costs with window cleaning.

And really, nobody is going to park their car and linger around a parking garage to look out and admire the view.

Given the amount of plumbing that will run through the garage, I'm assuming that it will need to be heated.
Could be that too. I haven't looked at the arch drawings in a long time, but I wonder if a lot of the plumbing goes through the floors that are in fact bricked up.
Well I'm glad my building didn't do this. All 4 floors of the podium have windows all around and grates. Nice to have sunshine and air, and not feel like a prison cell! Not much weatherwise in the winter that I find.
It's too bad they are blocking all the potential natural light from the parking podium. As long as they aren't installing black and grey concrete panels in the gaps, it should still be an ok looking parking podium.
(08-12-2024, 08:09 AM)westwardloo Wrote: It's too bad they are blocking all the potential natural light from the parking podium. As long as they aren't installing black and grey concrete panels in the gaps, it should still be an ok looking parking podium.

who cares lol. When i park in underground parking lots the last thing i think about is "oh i could use some natural sunlight" lol
I like to take a lounge chair down to my parking space and work on my tan.

(08-12-2024, 04:05 PM)jordan2423 Wrote:
(08-12-2024, 08:09 AM)westwardloo Wrote: It's too bad they are blocking all the potential natural light from the parking podium. As long as they aren't installing black and grey concrete panels in the gaps, it should still be an ok looking parking podium.

who cares lol. When i park in underground parking lots the last thing i think about is "oh i could use some natural sunlight" lol

Key word here is underground parking. This is not underground parking, it is a parking podium, so they actually have the option for natural light. Personally I am never going to own a unit in the building and will more then likely never be in the parking podium, so I actually don't care that much either. My main concern is that they are going to put grey precast panels in to fill the gaps and we are going to have another DTK on our hands.
Old Drawing Set says mix of spandrel and glazing panels.
It also says the Precast should be metal panel...

I think it will be difficult to site measure all the angled portions but spandrel glass might still be doable.

IN8 be like "haha, bait and switched again, suckers, thanks for buying a unit tho".
Maybe we can call “changing the parking podium design to a lifeless grey concrete wall after getting approval" a fun new term like “Gaslight-District-ing”
local cambridge weirdo
Haha. Were they the first to do the wack black and white stripes? Or was that Duke Tower?

Now that I think about it...and this is weird to say...but Duke Tower is actually nicer than Gaslight District. And that's saying a lot, because Duke is horrible. It manages to "win" by at least having the colours randomized and alternating, whereas the Gaslight project just has black white black white black white vertical stripes running top to bottom and with no dynamic pattern, making it look like a prison or something.
Aug 16
[Image: pg1h9cG.jpg]
[Image: WzWuAmy.jpg]

btw, I agreed with westwardloo about bricking off the gaps was a shame, but looked closer at our podium and it's mostly bricked up too. A few windows on one side of a few floors makes it seem non-dungeon enough.

Photo 
Crane about to rise again
[Image: dVLw38A.jpg]
[Image: eT0W9JW.jpeg]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »