Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
The Inclusive on Courtland | 38, 34, 30 & 29 fl | Proposed
Not even the snow, but rain at 4C is not pleasant! I am on Team More Porticos and it's absolutely true that the outdoor walk from house to transit to destination is a reason people like to keep to their cars.

(06-25-2024, 02:38 PM)westwardloo Wrote:
(06-25-2024, 10:04 AM)tomh009 Wrote: I don't see any particular lack of vision or pride in this, but, rather, the inability to secure financing (maybe lack of vision on the part of potential financing sources?). Spotlight seems to have expected MarshallZehr to have assisted in this, whereas MarshallZehr is blaming Spotlight for not having found financing on their own. He said, she said.

My point was more to do with the horrendous design of these buildings. Who ever came up with them doesn't care what our city looks like and should be called out on it. The made Drewlo look good somehow.

More pretty housing is good. More affordable housing is more important, though.
(06-25-2024, 09:33 AM)westwardloo Wrote: Looks like this project is officially dead. Hopefully a developer with a bit more vision/ pride the final product can take over the land. Chances are that piece of land sits empty for the next decade though 

https://storeys.com/spotlight-developmen...kitchener/

Haha. So, you're telling me this is another case of local incompetence? Who would've thunk it?!? Wait, that's pretty on brand for half of what goes on here.

But seriously this was such an ugly proposal I'm glad it died. Proposing something that looks like that should be illegal and require the destruction of ones architectural license. Sorry not sorry. This crap looked worse than a DDR commieblock circa 1968.
Spotlight Development is based on Queen St--in Toronto.
Yet this project - and many individuals and companies involved - are all based in Waterloo Region.
(06-27-2024, 02:07 PM)cherrypark Wrote: Not even the snow, but rain at 4C is not pleasant! I am on Team More Porticos and it's absolutely true that the outdoor walk from house to transit to destination is a reason people like to keep to their cars.

’Tis to weep:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/4nP4fNyvmYWBrR4Z8
https://maps.app.goo.gl/RGa6M3Byd8CjAVEb8
https://maps.app.goo.gl/KgkV7dMAXtnSagUG6

Although even this city has only a small fraction of the porticos it reasonably could.
Four-tower project along LRT in Kitchener in receivership

A four-tower development that would see hundreds of affordable units built in Kitchener is in receivership, but its Toronto-based developer says it’s working to finalize a new deal to keep the project going.

Last year, Spotlight Development announced it had purchased a vacant property at Courtland Avenue East and Block Line Road, next to the Block Line LRT station.

I'm kinda hoping whoever takes over just ends up making a nice condo project or something, so at least the buildings end up looking decent. The ones the affordable housing group proposed are so bad they should be illegal to build.
Yeah. Because we so need more 1BR condos and less affordable housing.
(07-20-2024, 01:05 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Yeah. Because we so need more 1BR condos and less affordable housing.

Actually, given that they keep selling for high prices, it seems we do need more 1 bedroom condos.
(07-20-2024, 01:05 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Yeah. Because we so need more 1BR condos and less affordable housing.

Yes. The greater the supply of homes we have, the cheaper they become for everyone. Affordable housing projects are at best a bandaid solution that does nothing to actually address the broader issue of housing not being affordable.

Just another time for me to rant about how 1BR condos come more from our building codes and artifically imposed housing shortage than evil greedy developers
local cambridge weirdo
(07-20-2024, 07:05 PM)bravado Wrote:

Just another time for me to rant about how 1BR condos come more from our building codes and artifically imposed housing shortage than evil greedy developers
Explain please?

(07-20-2024, 09:41 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:

Actually, given that they keep selling for high prices, it seems we do need more 1 bedroom condos.

I must have missed all the new condo project starts in the last 12 months.

And I'm glad to hear that the housing affordability issues are now in the past.
(07-21-2024, 11:51 AM)creative Wrote:
(07-20-2024, 07:05 PM)bravado Wrote: Just another time for me to rant about how 1BR condos come more from our building codes and artifically imposed housing shortage than evil greedy developers
Explain please?

"Bravado", Creative asked you to explain.  Why not explain?  I'm also curious.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »