Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
(08-25-2023, 03:07 PM)Bytor Wrote:
(08-23-2023, 01:56 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: I don't think this is an SMTP feature...this is a Gmail feature. It is useful, but only open to Gmail users. Also, I don't use it for temp emails, it's way too much work for that, I only use it when I want to filter emails to ensure that some org that I semi-trust doesn't start spamming or selling my email.

It is more than just a GMail only. Hotmail/Outlook Live support it, MS Exchange supports it, my email domain hoster ForwardEmail.net supports it, Postfix has supported it since v2.11 in 2014, and many more.

Sure, but Dan is right it's not a SMTP feature. It's just something Gmail did and was then widely copied. But it's a mail server feature, as far as the SMTP protocol is concerned the + has no special meaning, and is just a regular character in the email address.

(08-25-2023, 07:02 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(08-25-2023, 03:07 PM)Bytor Wrote: It is more than just a GMail only. Hotmail/Outlook Live support it, MS Exchange supports it, my email domain hoster ForwardEmail.net supports it, Postfix has supported it since v2.11 in 2014, and many more.

Sure, but Dan is right it's not a SMTP feature. It's just something Gmail did and was then widely copied. But it's a mail server feature, as far as the SMTP protocol is concerned the + has no special meaning, and is just a regular character in the email address.

Yes, although I did also say it was only gmail, which is apparently wrong. I'm surprised (but not displeased) the feature has been copied, given how little it is known. Since it's widely deployed (although gmail is probably big enough on it's own) I kinda suspect it's mostly useless now. If I was in the business of trading email lists, it would be pretty easy to run a regex over the list to strip off all those tags.

I really do wonder why other companies went through the effort of doing that.
You can still use it to automatically sort non-spam emails, tool.
(08-26-2023, 02:35 PM)tomh009 Wrote: You can still use it to automatically sort non-spam emails, tool.

And if you advertise your normal email as whatever+normal@example.com or some such, you could assume that incoming email without a +suffix is spam (or at least likely spam — just skim through it once a week or month).
This building on Courtland at Stirling spontaneously collapsed this afternoon.        
Ouch! Hope no one was hurt. Sad

From the bottom photo, I'm pretty sure that the build would not have met current building code. Maybe not even older ones, that's a pretty thin concrete wall supporting the roof, with window openings in it yet ...
Wow interesting! I've always thought that would be a great place for a small infill development.

Well considering this thing collapsed, maybe you'll get your wish. :'P There's a lot of good property around here which would be viable for redevelopment. The ground is soooo contaminated though.
According to street view, the tenant of that part of the building was 'D&D Contracting'.

Guess someone failed a saving throw.
I saw that this plot of land is now fenced off at Charles and Kent. Wonder if a proposal is near?

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4426704,-...?entry=ttu
(08-25-2023, 07:02 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(08-25-2023, 03:07 PM)Bytor Wrote: It is more than just a GMail only. Hotmail/Outlook Live support it, MS Exchange supports it, my email domain hoster ForwardEmail.net supports it, Postfix has supported it since v2.11 in 2014, and many more.

RFC 3598, 2003

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc3598

GMail wasn't launched until 2004. April 1st, for those who remember.

Using thE + like that in SMTP addressing has been around a long time, and not just some GMail enhancement.
Fate of existing tenants raised in Kitchener redevelopment proposal
Benton Street rental highrise would replace 13 current units
In a perfect world, tenants on a preexisting property that was slated to be removed should be given new homes (either in the new building or elsewhere that is of equal cost and has equal features i.e. same number of bedrooms). But sadly things don't happen like that in neoliberal capitalism so they'll get kicked to the curb and told good luck and then a bunch of Chinese and Indian investors will buy up half the building and a handful of tech bros will buy the rest of the units.

New affordable housing building coming to downtown Kitchener, behind Historic St. Paul's Lutheran Church. 6 story building, with 57 units planned. I can confirm the address will be 15 Church Street.

https://www.historicstpauls.ca/affordable-housing
96 Duke st west is for sale
The add says potential development opportunity zoned for a 30 storey tower

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/26070...-kitchener
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »