Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1.33 Average
Elevate Condos (1333 Weber St E) | 15, 15, 12 & 12 fl | U/C
Looks like they’re taking the tower B crane, which isn’t even above grade yet. Yikes. Something is definitely going on.

I wonder if they weren't paying for the crane rental and the company was just like, fine, we'll take our crane back then.

Hopefully this project doesn't turn into some unfinished husk of a building and giant pit.
Yeah, 'the stump' was a big embarrassment in Toronto, would hate to see something similar here.
(07-09-2023, 12:11 PM)KevinL Wrote: Yeah, 'the stump' was a big embarrassment in Toronto, would hate to see something similar here.

It wouldn't be the first time - looking at you King/Columbia.
Niagara Falls had had this stump for at least 15 years

https://maps.app.goo.gl/1gfY35c68rsPHRej7?g_st=i
(07-09-2023, 04:16 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(07-09-2023, 12:11 PM)KevinL Wrote: Yeah, 'the stump' was a big embarrassment in Toronto, would hate to see something similar here.

It wouldn't be the first time - looking at you King/Columbia.

There was also a foundation in a field beside Albert McCormick for probably a decade, and some abandoned foundations beside the Rec Centre for how many years before they cleared them to build Barrel Yards.
I'm pretty sure that the foundations next to the Waterloo Memorial Recreation Centre would have been remnants of the industrial buildings that use to stretch from the WMRC site to the Erb and Caroline intersection.

Financial issues have stalled this one
Looks like the second crane is coming down today... I havent seen anyone on site working....
No, they're putting a new one up. They had two white cranes until they were dismantled. They managed to get another one leased, this time grey.
oh, that's encouraging then... gotta be costing a lot of money to be taking down and erecting more cranes...
(08-17-2023, 01:24 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: oh,  that's encouraging then... gotta be costing a lot of money to be taking down and erecting more cranes...

Well, this is better than bad news.

It's not a good time right now to be a builder (of apartments) with the high interest rates. You really need deep pockets. Sadly, this only hurts the rental market as these units will be more expensive.
(08-17-2023, 01:10 PM)ac3r Wrote: No, they're putting a new one up. They had two white cranes until they were dismantled. They managed to get another one leased, this time grey.

This isn't correct. Project is stalled and crane rental company wasn't getting paid, so they're taking it.

(08-20-2023, 04:09 PM)KaiserWilhelmsBust Wrote:
(08-17-2023, 01:10 PM)ac3r Wrote: No, they're putting a new one up. They had two white cranes until they were dismantled. They managed to get another one leased, this time grey.

This isn't correct. Project is stalled and crane rental company wasn't getting paid, so they're taking it.

Which crane are they taking, white or grey?
(08-20-2023, 04:09 PM)KaiserWilhelmsBust Wrote:

That doesn't make any sense. The two cranes they had on site were white and they were there in July to remove them. I watched them doing it (for a bit, anyway, it was hot). When I was at The Beer Store a few days ago, all the pieces they had sitting on Furgus Ave were grey.

https://goo.gl/maps/SAMaxN6W3GuJyRyf8
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »