Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
30-40 Margaret Ave | 3 fl townhouses | Planned
Nice a one car garage too. At 2000sqft I'm a bit surprised some don't have 1.5 or even 2. 1 is still solid.

These designs look decent enough. I'd be glad to see this get built.
I like it. I am glad they are not trying to replicate victorian style town houses. I will look better as a slight contrast to the existing neighbourhood.
The questions is, will the heritage people like it? This is the "heritage neighbourhood" so I'm sure all the boo...citizens will have some opinions to share about the contemporary design of the project.
(02-01-2023, 04:38 PM)ac3r Wrote: The questions is, will the heritage people like it? This is the "heritage neighbourhood" so I'm sure all the boo...citizens will have some opinions to share about the contemporary design of the project.

The extreme heritage people will hate anything that is proposed here, but do they actually have any say? This lot was already approved for a two 6 -storey buildings with a lot more units than this proposal.  Unfortunately the cities/ regions previous heritage preservation mistakes has allowed the heritage advocates to run rampide with demands for preservation. The Bunker is a prime example.
This neighbourhood has been rallying against anything being built in this area with their lawn sign campaign.
Stick to the plan. Affordable housing isn't attainable housing. One other slogan I can't recall right now. Anything other than four single housing units is going to get a lot of grief from the locals but to your point, I don't know that they have much say/influence.

I like the proposal, while more density would be nice I don't think every property needs to be giant towers.
Iinm, the Heritage Committee recommends, it does not decide.

(02-02-2023, 10:41 AM)Chris Wrote: I like the proposal, while more density would be nice I don't think every property needs to be giant towers.

Just to point out that the original proposal was a perfect medium size apartment building, not a giant tower.
local cambridge weirdo
(02-02-2023, 12:15 PM)bravado Wrote:
(02-02-2023, 10:41 AM)Chris Wrote: I like the proposal, while more density would be nice I don't think every property needs to be giant towers.

Just to point out that the original proposal was a perfect medium size apartment building, not a giant tower.

True, I was speaking in more general terms and thinking of this neighbourhoods objection to the Weber st proposal.
Original proposal of Avenue M looked amazing IMO. Quality work based on renderings and a timeless quality.
(02-02-2023, 01:51 PM)Momo26 Wrote: Original proposal of Avenue M looked amazing IMO. Quality work based on renderings and a timeless quality.

A little sad it got cancelled for that reason. Would have been a good example of a low-rise that didn't look like a Minecraft building.
I found the two original buildings to be pretty tacky. The first looked like something Drewlo would do, where the second one (with the red brick) looked like some kitsch faux-historical thing. These modern ones look much nicer for 2023.
(02-02-2023, 03:52 PM)ac3r Wrote: I found the two original buildings to be pretty tacky. The first looked like something Drewlo would do, where the second one (with the red brick) looked like some kitsch faux-historical thing. These modern ones look much nicer for 2023.

Yeah was referring to the second design. Maybe a bit kitsch but I would take that over the grey-slate blocks.

When this is the only negative comment the Record can dig up from the neighbourhood meeting I guess this is well like by all parties.

But Ilona Bodendorfer took issue with the flat-roof design of the contemporary townhomes, saying heritage homes in the area tend to have peaked roofs.

“Having a flat rooftop, I don’t think fits in at all,” she said. “So many of those buildings were built in the 1900s, and when you put in modern buildings like that, it really doesn’t fit in with the character of the neighbourhood.”

https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...hener.html

Blocks of townhomes planned for long-vacant Margaret Avenue site near downtown Kitchener
Prominent property in heritage conservation district has sat empty for decades following demolition of several mansions
(02-09-2023, 10:13 AM)Chris Wrote: “Having a flat rooftop, I don’t think fits in at all,” she said. “So many of those buildings were built in the 1900s, and when you put in modern buildings like that, it really doesn’t fit in with the character of the neighbourhood.”

Not all century homes have peaked roofs, particularly rowhouses. For example, the Arrow employees' rowhouses on Courtland:

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »