Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1.33 Average
Elevate Condos (1333 Weber St E) | 15, 15, 12 & 12 fl | U/C
(08-04-2021, 06:15 AM)DK519 Wrote:
(08-04-2021, 12:51 AM)jeffster Wrote: Radisson is still open. Holiday Inn is renovating a portion of their building.

But right, we need to get rid of the higher class motels we have up the street on Weber. Though generally they're OK too, if you have your rabies shots and everything else.

It's not the homeless shelter anymore? When did that change?

Didn't know this. But either way, they have reasonable rates for anyone wanting to get away from the children for a day or two.

Thanks for posting those renders. You're right, this is definitely a great, under the radar project
Crane going up
(11-07-2021, 01:33 PM)Bjays93 Wrote: Crane going up

I passed by there on Wednesday and took some pictures but couldn't upload them because of the yet to be resolved bug. Anyhow, it looked like they were preparing to set up the crane.
They had a yellow mobile (I think?) crane up on Friday. It'll be interesting seeing this project when it's finished because there has never been anything tall on this stretch of Weber before, with the exception of The Radisson down the street.

Edit: Went to Zehrs today and saw them putting it up. Looks like they've got most of it done, there's just a few more sections on the boom that they're raising up. I would guess by the end of the month they'll be working full speed on this project.
Was at Zehrs last night and they were setting up a mobile crane. Didn't look too closely but maybe for another tower crane?
Likely, the crane base has been there for a bit now...

Second crane half constructed as of 5pm today.
The crane is complete. It's a bit shorter than the first one.
[Image: thcu69s.jpg]
I Would like to personally strangle the person responsible for the invention of precast.
(11-07-2022, 12:54 PM)myfaceisonfire Wrote: I Would like to personally strangle the person responsible for the invention of precast.

Why?
Because it looks and functions like shit. It turns buildings into even more ephemeral commodities and is an insult to the history of architecture and engineering.

(11-07-2022, 02:40 PM)ac3r Wrote: Because it looks and functions like shit. It turns buildings into even more ephemeral commodities and is an insult to the history of architecture and engineering.

In what way? How does it matter how the concrete got in place? Does this apply to all pre-cast? Floor panels (double-T or hollow)? Staircase segments?

I’m actually interested in your opinions as a professional in the field, but expressed this way it just looks like Luddism and is profoundly uninteresting.
It seems like such a temporary material and just announces to the world that “this is a forgettable building” that nobody really loved when they made it.

Obviously people need houses in the real world but it doesn’t need to be this way (in my head).
local cambridge weirdo
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »