Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
TEK Tower (30 Francis) | 45 fl | U/C
Four years. Wow.

Why do they need the road closed?

I guess this gives us four years to put together another "Gaukel Street"-type proposal. Even just closing the street between King and Halls Lane and expanding the Francis Green Park into the space would make a world of a difference.
(10-28-2022, 09:20 AM)the_conestoga_guy Wrote: I guess this gives us four years to put together another "Gaukel Street"-type proposal. Even just closing the street between King and Halls Lane and expanding the Francis Green Park into the space would make a world of a difference.

Indeed, if it can be closed for 4 years then clearly it isn’t that important to the road network. And looking at it, it’s similar to Gaukel in that it only runs a few blocks (3 rather than the 2 for Gaukel; I’m ignoring the separate dead-end block off Water St.), other nearby streets can take the traffic, and there are few to no vehicle accesses on the street that would need to be maintained.
(10-28-2022, 09:20 AM)the_conestoga_guy Wrote: I guess this gives us four years to put together another "Gaukel Street"-type proposal. Even just closing the street between King and Halls Lane and expanding the Francis Green Park into the space would make a world of a difference.

This is a great idea. Lord knows there isn't enough green space in the downtown core, and we could use every square foot we can scrape together. You (or all of us) should head over to the Engage Kitchener's Parks & Spaces page and make the suggestion! https://www.engagewr.ca/placesandspaces
Big Grin 
(10-28-2022, 01:29 PM)SF22 Wrote:

This is a great idea. Lord knows there isn't enough green space in the downtown core, and we could use every square foot we can scrape together. You (or all of us) should head over to the Engage Kitchener's Parks & Spaces page and make the suggestion! https://www.engagewr.ca/placesandspaces

Great advice! I've gone ahead and added this to the ideas page Smile

I encourage you all to comment and give feedback on how my idea could be improved!

From the permit applications

“ Permit is for the balance of construction for a 45-storey mixed use building. See permit #22 123075 for foundation and permit #22 113384 for shoring”

It's mixed use now? I thought it was entirely residential.
(11-23-2022, 02:32 PM)ac3r Wrote: It's mixed use now? I thought it was entirely residential.

I would love to see a large space for an urban format canadian tire or something. My guess is they have 1 ridiculously small "retail" space in the podium. The developer is going to try and lease it for way more then they should, have a for lease sign up for a couple years, then point to it as a reason why their next tower should not incorporate a retail or commercial component.
I just rechecked the plans latest submission. 3 commercial units 500, 500 and 700sqft facing Charles st
(11-23-2022, 09:55 PM)Lebronj23 Wrote: I just rechecked the plans latest submission. 3 commercial units 500, 500 and 700sqft facing Charles st

So two units of roughly 20 by 25 feet and one of 20 by 35. I'm curious what others think is commercially viable in these spaces at that location.
(11-23-2022, 10:18 PM)CedarHillAlum Wrote:
(11-23-2022, 09:55 PM)Lebronj23 Wrote: I just rechecked the plans latest submission. 3 commercial units 500, 500 and 700sqft facing Charles st

So two units of roughly 20 by 25 feet and one of 20 by 35. I'm curious what others think is commercially viable in these spaces at that location.

Those are tiny. Maybe you could do a cafe or a takeout-only sandwich/pita/sub shop? 700 sqft could maybe handle a small hair salon?
I guess they are slightly better than nothing, but I can see these units sitting empty for a while. Maybe they are and aren't getting any takers, but why don't developers reach out to Canadian Tire or Winners or a lululemon or an Urban outfitters or any other smaller "flagship" store while the project is in design, get a lease commitment and create a space specifically for them. It is ridiculous how suburban our retail is in a region of 600K+.

(11-23-2022, 10:18 PM)CedarHillAlum Wrote:

Why a bank, sleep clinic and weed shop of course! :'P
Chocolatier?  Cheesemonger?  Pastry/doughnut shop (bakery elsewhere)?  Florist?  Socks shop?  Tea room/shop?  Travel agency?  Phone/watch repair and accessories?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »