Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
TEK Tower (30 Francis) | 45 fl | U/C
I got this email from preregistering on their website. 

Tower 2 and TEK Tower 3 on its way 

Great, so more ugly IN8 stuff to plague the skyline.
Where will they be located?
(04-02-2022, 07:56 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Where will they be located?

I believe there was discussion that IN8 owns two more properties on Charles St where they planned to build towers “similar in height to TEK Tower”
Yeah they own two on Charles Street near the old bus station. There was a company doing soil sampling in the parking lot next to 24 Charles Street West (the brown brick building where North used to lease) on March 21 to 23rd if I remember correctly. If I had to guess, they were working for IN8. Not really sure how they'd manage to build a tower there, though. It's a very small location and the two office buildings next door were renovated not that long ago and have huge windows that look over the parking lot. Would be a shame if they lost the light that comes through there due to an ugly condo tower.
(04-03-2022, 11:14 AM)ac3r Wrote: Yeah they own two on Charles Street near the old bus station. There was a company doing soil sampling in the parking lot next to 24 Charles Street West (the brown brick building where North used to lease) on March 21 to 23rd if I remember correctly. If I had to guess, they were working for IN8. Not really sure how they'd manage to build a tower there, though. It's a very small location and the two office buildings next door were renovated not that long ago and have huge windows that look over the parking lot. Would be a shame if they lost the light that comes through there due to an ugly condo tower.

That parking lot is part of 24 Charles W. If they build there, the building will surely either be demolished or incorporated into the new development.
(04-03-2022, 04:16 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-03-2022, 11:14 AM)ac3r Wrote: Yeah they own two on Charles Street near the old bus station. There was a company doing soil sampling in the parking lot next to 24 Charles Street West (the brown brick building where North used to lease) on March 21 to 23rd if I remember correctly. If I had to guess, they were working for IN8. Not really sure how they'd manage to build a tower there, though. It's a very small location and the two office buildings next door were renovated not that long ago and have huge windows that look over the parking lot. Would be a shame if they lost the light that comes through there due to an ugly condo tower.

That parking lot is part of 24 Charles W. If they build there, the building will surely either be demolished or incorporated into the new development.

If that building is demolished for an IN8 development, then consider me a NIMBY Sad

Same. And that building was renovated not too long ago. Would be quite a waste to remove it, not to mention a huge environmental cost.
Expect a facadectomy.
(04-03-2022, 07:52 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Expect a facadectomy.

Wouldn’t the opposite be more likely? A façadectomy would be removal of the façade, keeping the interior.
I have zero expectations because it's IN8, but I suppose one could see them doing a Glove Box style glass atrium along those large windowed walls if a tower itself was kept skinny. Just not sure what they would do with parking, unless they are hoping to copy the Q model and offload the parking requirement to somewhere else.
(04-03-2022, 10:52 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(04-03-2022, 07:52 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Expect a facadectomy.

Wouldn’t the opposite be more likely? A façadectomy would be removal of the façade, keeping the interior.

You'd think, but the term is usually applied wrt to a retained facade when the interior is demolished.
(04-04-2022, 10:38 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(04-03-2022, 10:52 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Wouldn’t the opposite be more likely? A façadectomy would be removal of the façade, keeping the interior.

You'd think, but the term is usually applied wrt to a retained facade when the interior is demolished.

I did not know that. I guess my real mistake is expecting English to make sense Tongue

This has gained an extra storey now 45 floors.

Source : https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id...9eb177f64e

The application is showing :

SP22/073/F/CD CRAIGDU Proposing a 45 storey mixed use building.

I also emailed In8 and the owner Darryl Firsten got back to me. Quote” we reduced the podium by 1 floor, and increased the tower by 2, also added another half floor of underground parking to make the parking numbers work.”

The Increase in height is 1.5m due to the changes, now 146m tall
Just going to leave this here to see what ya'll think. Evidently it's the latest price list...

Yes that's in thousands (last column) - moderator feel free to fix formatting if entire picture isn't showing

Attached Files Image(s)

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »