Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The COVID-19 pandemic
(11-24-2020, 04:13 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 03:59 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Maybe read a bit, he is none of those things, he is angry about the "freedom" not about his livelihood.

Not ticketing him is sickening in the face of the protestors arrested in Ottawa, and worse, the threat of legal action against the carpenter making housing for the homeless.

Honestly, the police are really aiming to maximize their bad optics here...

But police bad actors aside, I'm done treating assholes with kid gloves. It's time to treat them the way we've treated marginalized people for centuries.  The way we pretend we treat all bad people.

By far the most disappointing thing to learn as an adult is that it matters less what you do, and more who you are and who you know, when it comes to what consequences you face to committing crimes. And if you think that is an unkind thing to say, you're right, it is, lets make it untrue rather than shooting the messenger.
Dan, please don't try and tell me what to do with your condescending comments please...

You're absolutely right, it was condescending, and that is unkind and I should act better. I'm sorry.

I am tired of people excusing bad behaviour. The police are doing it, and that makes me very angry. It didn't take me much time reading to see that this was not a struggling business owner.

TUESDAY 2020-11-23

Waterloo Region reported 56 new cases for today (15.4% of the active cases).  330 new cases for the week (+5), averaging 13.7% of active cases. 363 active cases (+8 in the last seven days).

1,373 tests/day for the past week for an average positivity rate of 3.40%.

Ontario reported 1,009 new cases today with a seven-day average of 1,395 (-34). (1,009 is slightly understated as some of the London cases were already included in yesterday's data.) 1,082 recoveries and 14 deaths translated to a decrease of 87 active cases, and a current total of 12,917. -15 active cases for the week (first weekly drop in a long time!) and 134 deaths. 27,053 tests (primarily Sunday testing activity) resulted in a 3.73% positivity rate. The positivity rate is averaging 3.54% for the past seven days, as compared to 3.85% for the preceding seven.

ICU bed count is up to 159 (+3) and the overall hospital population to 534 (+5 in the past week).
  • 497 cases in Toronto: 17.1 per 100K population
  • 175 cases in Peel: 11.8 per 100K
  • 118 cases in York: 10.7 per 100K
  • 31 cases in Windsor-Essex: 7.9 per 100K
  • 25 cases in Simcoe-Muskoka: 4.4 per 100K
  • 19 cases in Niagara: 4.0 per 100K
  • 19 cases in Ottawa: 1.9 per 100K
  • 16 cases in Durham: 2.3 per 100K
  • 16 cases in Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph
  • 10 cases in Hamilton: 1.8 per 100K
  • 5 cases in Halton: 1.1 per 100K
  • 40 cases in Waterloo: 6.1 per 100K (based on provincial reporting, one day behind the region)[/color]

I am bit unclear on the regional numbers and how much they are really off. Let's wait and see what tomorrow's report shows.
(11-24-2020, 04:25 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 04:13 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Dan, please don't try and tell me what to do with your condescending comments please...

You're absolutely right, it was condescending, and that is unkind and I should act better. I'm sorry.

I am tired of people excusing bad behaviour. The police are doing it, and that makes me very angry. It didn't take me much time reading to see that this was not a struggling business owner.
Thank you, I appreciate it.
I was not able to open the article to read it because I don't have a subscription.

What I can tell you though, if not this guy, there are many people losing it because they are losing their life savings.  Small family and businesses and restaurants don't have deep pockets to bridge the gap during another lock down.  It is a real thing that many will be dealing with depression and anxiety that is causing suicide and suicide attempts.  I have seen it first hand and way too much as of late.  So maybe I have more empathy and get frustrated when I see everyone advocate for a shut down, even though they are unaffected when everything is shut down because they don't have any skin in the game...
(11-24-2020, 05:04 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 04:25 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: You're absolutely right, it was condescending, and that is unkind and I should act better. I'm sorry.

Thank you, I appreciate it.
I was not able to open the article to read it because I don't have a subscription.

What I can tell you though, if not this guy, there are many people losing it because they are losing their life savings.  Small family and businesses and restaurants don't have deep pockets to bridge the gap during another lock down.  It is a real thing that many will be dealing with depression and anxiety that is causing suicide and suicide attempts.  I have seen it first hand and way too much as of late.  So maybe I have more empathy and get frustrated when I see everyone advocate for a shut down, even though they are unaffected when everything is shut down because they don't have any skin in the game...

I saw a follow up article saying the health inspector shut him down.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/toronto-resta...-1.5202198

As for the point, i do have sympathy, and I agree that the "Big box stores" like Walmart should limit themselves to only grocery/pharmacy only (TVs are not essential) or switch to curbside/delivery only. (Which he also has the option to do Takeout/delivery). But the way he handled it was not the correct way, and I agree that the Health Inspector did the right thing here.
(11-24-2020, 05:04 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I was not able to open the article to read it because I don't have a subscription.

Here is a CBC article. No paywall.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/e...-1.5814137
The owner is saying nothing about financial issues, just yelling "freedom!"

And it's also a real thing that many people are becoming severely ill with COVID-19, some are dying and others are suffering from long-term health problems ("long COVID"). Is this more or less important than the small business owner's issues during a one-month lockdown? I think that's a personal value judgement.
WEDNESDAY 2020-11-25

Waterloo Region reported 73 new cases -- a new all-time record -- for today (18.7% of the active cases).  371 new cases for the week (+41), averaging 14.9% of active cases. 405 active cases (+40 in the last seven days).

Next testing report on Friday.

Ontario reported 1,373 new cases today with a seven-day average of 1,389 (-6). 1,373 recoveries and 35 (!) deaths translated to a decrease of 138 active cases, and a current total of 12,779. -43 active cases for the week and 139 deaths. 36,076 tests resulted in a 3.81% positivity rate. The positivity rate is averaging 3.47% for the past seven days, as compared to 3.90% for the preceding seven.

ICU bed count is steady at to 159 (+0) and the overall hospital population dropped to 523 (-12 in the past week).
  • 445 cases in Toronto: 15.3 per 100K population
  • 415 cases in Peel: 27.7 per 100K
  • 136 cases in York: 12.4 per 100K
  • 49 cases in Hamilton: 8.8 per 100K
  • 31 cases in Windsor-Essex: 7.9 per 100K
  • 30 cases in Halton: 6.7 per 100K
  • 30 cases in Simcoe-Muskoka: 5.3 per 100K
  • 26 cases in Durham: 4.0 per 100K
  • 26 cases in Middlesex-London: 0 per 100K
  • 23 cases in Ottawa: 2.3 per 100K
  • 17 cases in Niagara: 3.6 per 100K
  • 13 cases in Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph: 0 per 100K
  • 61 cases in Waterloo: 9.1 per 100K (based on provincial reporting, one day behind the region)[/color]

The provincial numbers are somewhat encouraging at this point: the new cases are averaging around 1,400/day now and no longer shooting up, at least for now. The number of active cases is either stable or slightly dropping, and the number of new cases as a percentage of actives has dropped down close to 10%. Not out of the woods by any means but it is far better than it was early this month.

Waterloo Region, though -- what the heck is going on here that things are getting so out of control?
Earlier this morning, the auditor general Bonnie Lysyk highlighted how "confusing" the provincial response has been, saying local public health units are feeling a bit lost following two reports into the response management. With cases (and deaths) going up so fast all over the country, I will not be surprised if we end up having a lockdown in the coming weeks before we start to lose control of the spread or overwhelm hospitals and LTC homes. Here's an article on what she said here: https://globalnews.ca/news/7482841/coron...nications/

(11-25-2020, 02:59 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Waterloo Region, though -- what the heck is going on here that things are getting so out of control?

People like this?
https://www.kitchenertoday.com/coronavir...ns-3129328

Coke
'Freedom Rally' ugh these people don't know what life is like when people don't have freedom. Theres millions of people around the world that actually don't have freedom.
They should call it a 'I don't care about you and your family's rally'.
Wear your mask and social distance, civilization is based on everyone in society working together towards a common cause.
Kitchener Minor Hockey Assn suspends Boys House League & Sledge Hockey during RED. Other 4 groups will be continuing in a reduced capacity:
https://kitchenerminorhockey.com/Article...24th_2020/

Cambridge Minor Hockey is suspending some age groups, continuing with others:
https://cambridgeminorhockey.com/Article...s_Weekend/

Kitchener Ringette Assn suspends all on-ice activity until January 10th, 2021:
http://kitchenerringette.com/article/62740

Waterloo Ringette and Waterloo Minor Hockey have not announced how they are proceeding. Cambridge Ringette is continuing as normal.

Coke
(11-26-2020, 12:42 PM)neonjoe Wrote: 'Freedom Rally' ugh these people don't know what life is like when people don't have freedom. Theres millions of people around the world that actually don't have freedom.
They should call it a 'I don't care about you and your family's rally'.
Wear your mask and social distance, civilization is based on everyone in society working together towards a common cause.

Indeed.  And it’s pretty clear these people, while they pretend to care about businesses are just using it as an excuse. They are targeting zero waste bulk who has asked their customers not to shop that day for their safety.

These folks don’t care about small businesses, they don’t care about freedoms, they don’t care about people’s safety. They care only about themselves and their delusion of persecution.
THURSDAY 2020-11-27

Waterloo Region reported 65 new cases for today (15.9% of the active cases).  411 new cases for the week (+40), averaging 16.1% of active cases. 435 active cases (+82 in the last seven days).

Next testing report on Friday.

Ontario reported 1,478 new cases today with a seven-day average of 1,427 (+38). 1,365 recoveries and 21 deaths translated to an increase of 92 active cases, and a current total of 12,871. +243 active cases for the week and 132 deaths. 47,576 tests resulted in a 3.11% positivity rate. The positivity rate is averaging 3.51% for the past seven days, as compared to 3.74% for the preceding seven.

ICU bed count dropped to 151 (-8) but the overall hospital population is up to 556 (+30 in the past week).
  • 572 cases in Peel: 38.1 per 100K population
  • 356 cases in Toronto: 12.3 per 100K
  • 111 cases in York: 10.1 per 100K
  • 59 cases in Hamilton: 10.0 per 100K
  • 47 cases in Durham: 7.2 per 100K
  • 42 cases in Windsor-Essex: 10.8 per 100K
  • 36 cases in Halton: 8.1 per 100K
  • 29 cases in Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph: 10.6 per 100K
  • 24 cases in Ottawa: 2.4 per 100K
  • 23 cases in Niagara: 5.0 per 100K
  • 18 cases in Simcoe-Muskoka: 3.2 per 100K
  • 14 cases in Middlesex-London: 3.1 per 100K
  • 64 cases in Waterloo: 9.8 per 100K (based on provincial reporting, one day behind the region)[/color]
Dr David Williams is also cautiously optimistic about the current Ontario infection numbers.

Quote:No new regions will be going into lockdown or now, he said, but some regions will move into different colour-coded alert stages in moves to be announced on Friday.

So, no lockdown for us here, at least not for another week. I hope we can get our act in gear by next week!

FRIDAY 2020-11-28

Waterloo Region reported 74 new cases for today (17.0% of the active cases).  449 new cases for the week (+38), averaging 17.0% of active cases. 462 active cases (+127 in the last seven days).

An average of 1,419 tests per day for a positivity rate of 4.53% -- and averaging over 5% for the past three days!

Ontario reported 1,855 new cases -- yet another new record -- today with a seven-day average of 1,489 (+62). 1,451 recoveries and 20 deaths translated to an increase of 384 active cases, and a current total of 13,255. +632 active cases for the week and 144 deaths. 58,037 tests -- this, too, is a record -- resulted in a 3.20% positivity rate. The positivity rate is averaging 3.54% for the past seven days, as compared to 3.67% for the preceding seven.

ICU bed count stayed at 151 (+0) and the overall hospital population dropped to 541 (+23 in the past week).
  • 517 cases in Peel: 37.4 per 100K population
  • 494 cases in Toronto: 16.9 per 100K
  • 189 cases in York: 17.0 per 100K
  • 130 cases in Halton: 23.7 per 100K
  • 82 cases in Hamilton: 14.2 per 100K
  • 65 cases in Durham: 10.1 per 100K
  • 55 cases in Ottawa: 5.5 per 100K
  • 52 cases in Windsor-Essex: 13.4 per 100K
  • 38 cases in Simcoe-Muskoka: 7.0 per 100K
  • 27 cases in Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph: 9.9 per 100K
  • 20 cases in Niagara: 4.5 per 100K
  • 10 cases in Middlesex-London: 2.5 per 100K

• 74 cases in Waterloo: 12.0 per 100K (based on provincial reporting, one day behind the region)[/color]

Well! An unpleasant total for today, to be sure. An outlier or the start of a trend, we'll find out in the coming days.
Looks like Covid-19 is now having a demonstrable impact on certain conservative Mennonite communities within the region: https://outline.com/AhpYLZ
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »