Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
The Shannondale (née Electrohome, 152 Shanley St) | 8 fl | U/C
(05-13-2019, 01:07 PM)Chris Wrote:
(05-13-2019, 12:26 PM)jeffster Wrote: Who was there after Electrohome? And were they dumping stuff from Electrohome?

Art Rite Advertising. They were dumping their paint chemicals and paint thinners.

Page 8. http://www.downloads.ene.gov.on.ca/files...vities.pdf

Pag2 2. https://www.kitchener.ca/en/resourcesGen...ndix-A.pdf

So then we have a toxic mix of chemicals there. Wow. Won't be cheap to fix.

(05-15-2019, 12:13 AM)jeffster Wrote:
(05-13-2019, 01:07 PM)Chris Wrote: Art Rite Advertising. They were dumping their paint chemicals and paint thinners.

Page 8. http://www.downloads.ene.gov.on.ca/files...vities.pdf

Pag2 2. https://www.kitchener.ca/en/resourcesGen...ndix-A.pdf

So then we have a toxic mix of chemicals there. Wow. Won't be cheap to fix.

The big question is how deep/wide the contamination is. And you really can't tell that until you check.

It's like a used car which won't start. It could be a dead battery, or the engine could be seized, or anything in between. Can't tell until you check.
Apparently it's been purchased by a Toronto-based developer that intends to demolish it early next year and build a midrise.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/970...kitchener/
One can imagine a bit of discussion around this .... Wink
(11-15-2019, 11:44 AM)taylortbb Wrote: Apparently it's been purchased by a Toronto-based developer that intends to demolish it early next year and build a midrise.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/970...kitchener/
It is disappointing they intend to demolish the building. Unfortunately years of neglect have basically determined the fate of this building. Based purely on the Developers website. I do not have high hopes for the quality of midrise they will construct at this site.
Unfortunately the building started to suffer a level of neglect similar to the old Forsyth Factory that stood beside city hall. It's a shame the building will be demolished, but it was probably getting to the point it was not worth it to save.

We'll have to see what they build. Their experience seems to be in strip malls, not urban mixed use developments...so it may be good or bad.
Shame. Although not surprising.

(11-15-2019, 11:51 AM)panamaniac Wrote: One can imagine a bit of discussion around this ....  Wink

Certainly not that it has heritage value and should be saved....am I right?
Perhaps they can save some of the brick ...

Actually, it will be interesting to see what scale of "mid-rise, mixed-use" building could be viable on this site. I would have thought that the environmental cleanup costs might oblige a developer to go big, which wouldn't fly in tha location.
(11-15-2019, 09:06 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Perhaps they can save some of the brick ...

Actually, it will be interesting to see what scale of "mid-rise, mixed-use" building could be viable on this site.  I would have thought that the environmental cleanup costs might oblige a developer to go big, which wouldn't fly in tha location.
The city and the region have brownfield remediation incentives to help developers recoup some of their cost regarding the cleanup.
I walk the area of Wellington, Louisa and Shanley. This is an old established neighbourhood. The houses are well maintained and have many of the old Berlin architecture of the early 20th century. I can see a low rise fitting in perfectly. I just hope it's not just a box.
(11-16-2019, 08:00 AM)kitborn Wrote: I walk the area of Wellington, Louisa and Shanley. This is an old established neighbourhood. The houses are well maintained and have many of the old Berlin architecture of the early 20th century. I can see a low rise fitting in perfectly. I just hope it's not just a box.

The news report says "mid-rise".  If I were a betting man, I'd bet that the developer will put forward an initial proposal for something up to 8 -10 storeys, with neighbourhood outcry bringing the final height to something in the 6 - 8 storey range.
(11-16-2019, 08:00 AM)kitborn Wrote: I walk the area of Wellington, Louisa and Shanley. This is an old established neighbourhood. The houses are well maintained and have many of the old Berlin architecture of the early 20th century. I can see a low rise fitting in perfectly. I just hope it's not just a box.
I would expect anything other than a box on this site and by this developer. Which I am fine with, a simple shape can make for an elegant building that will fit in with the neighborhood. Which is their best bet and getting it approved. I just hope they will use brick as the exterior cladding and not stucco. Which IMHO is the cheapest and ugliest material that developers love to use.

(11-16-2019, 10:12 AM)panamaniac Wrote:

The news report says "mid-rise".  If I were a betting man, I'd bet that the developer will put forward an initial proposal for something up to 8 -10 storeys, with neighbourhood outcry bringing the final height to something in the 6 - 8 storey range.

I am guessing this would be the most likely outcome. I'll put my money on 7 floors. It'll end up being a high-end condo development.
Looks like the City gotten taken for about $700,000 on this property by the previous owners who bought to property for $1 and sold it for $1.4 million. No maintenance was done and no property tax were for over 20 years. The city tried to sell multiple time to recoup the outstanding bills. I don't know how this kind of think is legal, but seems like this sleazy property owner, who used his son as the realtor of sale got away with it. So in the end the city lost what could have been a great heritage conversion and 700k. Seems like the city dropped the ball on this one.   

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/973...4-million/
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »