Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The COVID-19 pandemic
(09-10-2020, 02:36 PM)jgsz Wrote: This is getting depressing. Covid-19 seems relentless even though most of us are doing what we can to stop the spread.

Problem is that some aren’t....like that party in Waterloo with 150 people....as I said, some don’t give a shite.

(09-10-2020, 02:36 PM)jgsz Wrote: This is getting depressing. Covid-19 seems relentless even though most of us are doing what we can to stop the spread.

I don't know that this is true. I suspect people have meaningfully decreased their precautions. There are numerous cases of large house parties, etc. going on. Single events like weddings are causing dozens (or hundreds) of cases. 

But the biggest problem I think, is we opened up stuff like clubs and bars, which is frankly, brain dead. The net result is we are going to have to shut down again, hopefully sooner than later. I suspect this also sends a signal to people. If they can go to a nightclub and grind on strangers, why can't they throw a house party?

But this was a given, the stupid thing is that we opened up stupid things instead of smart things. The need is to keep schools and medical facilities open and effective. That should have been the priority. Not enabling drunken idiots to slobber all over each other.
I do agree. I think restaurants are manageable, but bars and (especially) nightclubs are much less so. And once people experience that, they'll do the same at home.
If someone told me that I would never again eat in a restaurant, I’d be fine with it. I haven’t even ordered takeout since I locked down in mid-March. In terms of the economy, I’m part of the problem, I guess, but I’ve developed a whole new (and improved) relationship with food, including veggies I’ve grown myself. Unfortunately, I’ve also discovered baking, which has been good for three or four extra kilos ...
I actually lost a few kilos early on, probably from eating less restaurant food! But my cooking skills, too, have significantly improved.
(09-10-2020, 02:48 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I do agree. I think restaurants are manageable, but bars and (especially) nightclubs are much less so. And once people experience that, they'll do the same at home.

Makes sense that BC just closed nightclubs again... Well, maybe they should not have reopened them in the first place. But now they're closed.
(09-11-2020, 01:05 AM)plam Wrote:
(09-10-2020, 02:48 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I do agree. I think restaurants are manageable, but bars and (especially) nightclubs are much less so. And once people experience that, they'll do the same at home.

Makes sense that BC just closed nightclubs again... Well, maybe they should not have reopened them in the first place. But now they're closed.

Apart from reducing infection risk at nightclubs, this really sends the right message.

(09-10-2020, 03:16 PM)panamaniac Wrote: If someone told me that I would never again eat in a restaurant, I’d be fine with it.  I haven’t even ordered takeout since I locked down in mid-March.  In terms of the economy, I’m part of the problem, I guess, but I’ve developed a whole new (and improved) relationship with food, including veggies I’ve grown myself.  Unfortunately, I’ve also discovered baking, which has been good for three or four extra kilos ...

I’ve been out quite a few times since things re-opened. I’m really just trying to do my part I helping the economy survive. Also partly because I want to. Been to the theatre 3 times (Jaws, Tenet and Unhinged) with my kid. Basically the theatres have been empty though. Restaurants aren’t real busy — I mean, all the available seating is being used, but it is very limited (1/3 to 1/2).

Really, we do need all these places to survive though, otherwise, it’ll drag down the rest of the economy.
(09-11-2020, 10:19 AM)jeffster Wrote:
(09-10-2020, 03:16 PM)panamaniac Wrote: If someone told me that I would never again eat in a restaurant, I’d be fine with it.  I haven’t even ordered takeout since I locked down in mid-March.  In terms of the economy, I’m part of the problem, I guess, but I’ve developed a whole new (and improved) relationship with food, including veggies I’ve grown myself.  Unfortunately, I’ve also discovered baking, which has been good for three or four extra kilos ...

I’ve been out quite a few times since things re-opened. I’m really just trying to do my part I helping the economy survive. Also partly because I want to. Been to the theatre 3 times (Jaws, Tenet and Unhinged) with my kid. Basically the theatres have been empty though. Restaurants aren’t real busy — I mean, all the available seating is being used, but it is very limited (1/3 to 1/2).

Really, we do need all these places to survive though, otherwise, it’ll drag down the rest of the economy.

Indeed, I think we'll start seeing more widespread "drag" starting in Q4.  Meanwhile, a lot of people are saving a lot of money, which will be interesting come 2021 (spend?  pay down debt?  sit on it?)
FRIDAY 2020-09-11

Waterloo Region reported four new cases today (0.3% of the total and 7.8% of the active cases), but also added 10 more cases to yesterday's count, bringing it up to 19. New cases are now averaging 13.7% of active cases over the past seven days. 51 active cases (up +17 -- 50% -- since Wednesday).

38 new cases for the week, and with 2,722 tests, that's a 1.40% positivity rate, far higher than we are used to seeing.

Ontario reported 213 new cases today (highest since 28 June) with a seven-day average of 176, still going up each day. 124 recoveries and no deaths translated to an increase of 89 active cases and a current total of 1,657. A weekly total change of +375 active cases. 32,501 tests for a 0.66% positivity rate. The positivity rate is averaging 0.72% for the past seven days.

The new cases are 0.5% of the total and 12.9% of the number of active cases. New cases averaging 11.8% of actives over the past seven days.

ICU patient count is at 18 (+4).
  • 71 cases in Toronto: 2.2 per 100K population
  • 38 cases in Peel: 3.8 per 100K
  • 37 cases in Ottawa: 3.7 per 100K
  • 15 cases in Waterloo: 2.5 per 100K (based on provincial reporting, includes some of yesterday's cases)
  • 14 cases in York: 1.4 per 100K population

The top five regions account for 175 of the total 213 new cases, or 82%. Congratulations to Waterloo Region for making the list. Sad
Yes, this is not going well at all.
(09-11-2020, 05:12 PM)tomh009 Wrote: FRIDAY 2020-09-11

Waterloo Region reported four new cases today (0.3% of the total and 7.8% of the active cases), but also added 10 more cases to yesterday's count, bringing it up to 19. New cases are now averaging 13.7% of active cases over the past seven days. 51 active cases (up +17 -- 50% -- since Wednesday).

The top five regions account for 175 of the total 213 new cases, or 82%. Congratulations to Waterloo Region for making the list. Sad

Yeah, this isn't good. I have to wonder where most of the cases are, what the background on it is. My job sort of depends on things progressing, not regressing.

I think too that region needs to start checking restaurants (be it sit in or not) to make sure staff is following rules. I've been to a couple Sharma restaurants (take out) and none of the staff wear masks. I get that working in a hot environment sucks, but not worth the risk. I also think some stores need to be more proactive and start rejecting customers that don't wear masks, and accommodate in a different way. This is especially true of malls, I was at both Conestoga Mall and Fairview Park Mall today, and at Conestoga Mall there were quite a few people w/o masks, and these people were also being served in stores. It seemed that only that the Apple Store and Sage were following procedure.
SATURDAY 2020-09-12

Waterloo Region reported four new cases today (0.3% of the total and 8.2% of the active cases), and added one more for yesterday. New cases are now averaging 14.6% of active cases over the past seven days. 49 active cases (up +17 -- 50% -- since Wednesday).

42 new cases for the week, or six per day -- will the last few days' dip hold?

Ontario reported 232 new cases today (another two-month high) with a seven-day average of 185, still going up each day. 119 recoveries and 1 death translated to an increase of 112 active cases and a current total of 1,769, quickly approaching 2,000. A weekly total change of +424 active cases. 35,618 tests for a 0.65% positivity rate. The positivity rate is averaging 0.72% for the past seven days.

The new cases are 0.5% of the total and 13.1% of the number of active cases. New cases averaging 11.9% of actives over the past seven days.

ICU patient count is at 15 (-3) if you're willing to believe the weekend reporting.
  • 77 cases in Toronto: 2.3 per 100K population
  • 62 cases in Peel: 5.6 per 100K
  • 27 cases in Ottawa: 2.7 per 100K
  • 12 cases in York: 1.2 per 100K population
  • 11 cases in Simcoe-Muskoka: 3.0 per 100K population
  • 10 cases in Durham: 1.5 per 100K population
  • 3 cases in Waterloo: 0.5 per 100K (based on regional reporting

The contagion spreads further in the GTA. 199 of 232 cases (86%) from the above top regions.

SUNDAY 2020-09-13

Waterloo Region reported six new cases today (0.4% of the total and 10.9% of the active cases), and added one more for yesterday. New cases are now averaging 15.6% of active cases over the past seven days. 45 active cases (+5).  47 new cases for the week.

Ontario reported 204 new cases today with a seven-day average of 192, another increase. 124 recoveries and 1 death translated to an increase of 79 active cases and a current total of 1,848. A weekly total change of +458 active cases. 31,143 tests for a 0.66% positivity rate. The positivity rate is averaging 0.74% for the past seven days.

The new cases are 0.5% of the total and 11.0% of the number of active cases. New cases averaging 11.8% of actives over the past seven days -- a small drop in that average is the only encouraging sign today.

ICU patient count is at 14 (-1) but based on unreliable weekend reporting.
  • 63 cases in Toronto: 2.0 per 100K population
  • 47 cases in Ottawa: 4.7 per 100K
  • 35 cases in Peel: 3.5 per 100K
  • 13 cases in Windsor-Essex: 4.5 per 100K population
  • 11 cases in York: 1.1 per 100K population
  • 6 cases in Waterloo: 1.0 per 100K (based on regional reporting

Ottawa makes up for the improvements in the GTA.  169 of 204 cases (83%) from the above top regions.
MONDAY 2020-09-14

Waterloo Region reported 11 new cases today (0.7% of the total and 16.2% of the active cases), and added one more for yesterday. New cases are now averaging 16.8% of active cases over the past seven days. 68 active cases (+11).  57 new cases for the week.

Ontario reported 313 new cases today -- first time in the 300s since early June -- with a grim seven-day average of 209. 133 recoveries and one death translated to an increase of 179 (!) active cases and a current total of 2,027. A weekly total change of +566 active cases. 29,540 tests for a 1.06% positivity rate. The positivity rate is averaging 0.78% for the past seven days.

The new cases are 0.7% of the total and 15.4% of the number of active cases. New cases averaging 12.2% of actives over the past seven days.

ICU patient count is at 17 (+3).

Hello, second wave. While it's no pleasure meeting you, I do think I can indeed recognize you.
  • 112 cases in Toronto: 3.0 per 100K population
  • 71 cases in Peel: 7.1 per 100K
  • 60 cases in Ottawa: 6.0 per 100K
  • 13 cases in York: 1.3 per 100K
  • 11 cases in Waterloo: 1.9 per 100K (based on regional reporting

267 of 313 cases (85%) from the above top regions.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »