Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
TEK Tower (30 Francis) | 45 fl | U/C
That can't be right, Jeff Outhit says Waterloo is the tallest city....

(10-02-2024, 12:55 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: That can't be right, Jeff Outhit says Waterloo is the tallest city....

It was the most indigenous way to manipulate the numbers that I've seen in a while.
He was looking a percentages of peoples or dwellings living in buildings over 5 stories as a tall building.

Waterloo has a higher percentage of residents living in buildings 5 or more stories than kitchener 
16% vs 11%
Waterloo has a higher percentage of buildings that are 5 stores or over
22% vs 16%

But this fails to even look at the fact that Kitchener is over twice as big as Waterloo population wise. This also fails to look at the fact that Kitchener has buildings that are far taller than waterloo.
(10-02-2024, 01:10 PM)neonjoe Wrote:
(10-02-2024, 12:55 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: That can't be right, Jeff Outhit says Waterloo is the tallest city....

It was the most indigenous way to manipulate the numbers that I've seen in a while.
He was looking a percentages of peoples or dwellings living in buildings over 5 stories as a tall building.

Waterloo has a higher percentage of residents living in buildings 5 or more stories than kitchener 
16% vs 11%
22% vs 16%

But this fails to even look at the fact that Kitchener is over twice as big as Waterloo population wise. This also fails to look at the fact that Kitchener has buildings that are far taller than waterloo.

It also fails to look at the fact that most of Kitchener's recent density didn't exist or wasn't occupied until recently, the data is from 2021, in 2021 City Center 2, Bright Building, Duke Tower, Civic 66, Woodside phase 2, Station Park 1 and 2, 387/397 King, 169 Borden and more all weren't occupied. Waterloo hasn't had anywhere near that level of completion since then, Kitchener also has so much more under construction right now (Metz A/B/C, 1001 King, 3241 King, 25 Sportsworld Crossing, 1295 Bleams, 50 Otterbein, 599 Strasburg, 83 Elmsdale T1 and T2, Tek, Station Park C, Drewlo still).
(10-02-2024, 01:10 PM)neonjoe Wrote:

16% vs 11%
22% vs 16%

Ingenious?  Disingenuous, perhaps?
(10-02-2024, 05:27 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(10-02-2024, 01:10 PM)neonjoe Wrote: It was the most indigenous way to manipulate the numbers that I've seen in a while.

16% vs 11%
22% vs 16%

Ingenious?  Disingenuous, perhaps?
I didn’t catch the spell checker modifying my poor spelling
I knew what you meant. And you are correct in the analysis.

And I have been saying for a while, that Jeff always relies on dated data..
Here's a different angle for once. From Victoria and Joseph 
[Image: xscaGmv.jpeg]

And the fact that almost all of Waterloo's highrises are student residences.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »