Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
81-85 Bridgeport Road East | 16-27 fl | Proposed
(04-19-2022, 09:36 AM)myfaceisonfire Wrote: Waterloo....moving closer and closer to 3rd world status one Schembri property at a time.

Mid-market rental properties, and even some three-bedroom units. That's a good thing. It's not beautiful, but I would say less offensive than most of the buildings on King St N between University and Columbia. Faint praise, I know.

"WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?" is the name and styling of a regular column in the Waterloo Chronicle.
Three more Waterloo towers pitched as ‘entryway into the housing market’
https://archive.ph/GY6th

[Image: 9bSAnJl.jpg]
[Image: uNf1BPJ.jpg]
This one might look nice, but there is a strong possibility that exterior cladding and window material choices make this building look horrendous. Either way glad to see bridgeport see some love. I hope more midrise building get proposed along bridgeport, and potential redevelop the strip mall plaza across the street.
Why would they add those zig-zags on the balcony? Lol that looks so silly. The design of the balconies themselves would have offered enough of a visually interesting look since they are designed to be angled but this is just too much now.

(07-18-2022, 01:04 PM)ac3r Wrote: Why would they add those zig-zags on the balcony? Lol that looks so silly. The design of the balconies themselves would have offered enough of a visually interesting look since they are designed to be angled but this is just too much now.

So you can toss down a brew to your buddy one floor down, of course.
Oh no, I mean the ones that go vertically up the building, connecting each balcony. Those weren't in the previous renders but now they are.
(07-18-2022, 01:45 PM)cherrypark Wrote:
(07-18-2022, 01:04 PM)ac3r Wrote: Why would they add those zig-zags on the balcony? Lol that looks so silly. The design of the balconies themselves would have offered enough of a visually interesting look since they are designed to be angled but this is just too much now.

So you can toss down a brew to your buddy one floor down, of course.

To try to hide the ugly cheap precast the building will be built out of

I kind of like the zig-zags, at least in rendering form.

However, I would be very upset if I lived here and my balcony space was cut in half for seemingly purely aesthetic reasons.
(07-18-2022, 08:12 AM)westwardloo Wrote: This one might look nice, but there is a strong possibility that exterior cladding and window material choices make this building look horrendous. Either way glad to see bridgeport see some love. I hope more midrise building get proposed along bridgeport, and potential redevelop the strip mall plaza across the street.

They just renovated the strip mall plaza, but hey.

I would personally not want to live on Bridgepor or Weber; too much traffic. The whole Waterloo nodes and corridors strategy was somewhat unfortunate that way. It would be better if it was two way traffic I think.
(07-18-2022, 07:05 PM)plam Wrote:
(07-18-2022, 08:12 AM)westwardloo Wrote: This one might look nice, but there is a strong possibility that exterior cladding and window material choices make this building look horrendous. Either way glad to see bridgeport see some love. I hope more midrise building get proposed along bridgeport, and potential redevelop the strip mall plaza across the street.

They just renovated the strip mall plaza, but hey.

I would personally not want to live on Bridgepor or Weber; too much traffic. The whole Waterloo nodes and corridors strategy was somewhat unfortunate that way. It would be better if it was two way traffic I think.

For some reason I thought the long term plan was to revert both erb and Bridgeport into 2 way streets. They are both over built for the amount of traffic they recieve. I also hope they continue the erb bike lane to at least weber, but all the way to Lancaster would be awesome.

(07-19-2022, 08:11 AM)westwardloo Wrote:
(07-18-2022, 07:05 PM)plam Wrote: They just renovated the strip mall plaza, but hey.

For some reason I thought the long term plan was to revert both erb and Bridgeport into 2 way streets. They are both over built for the amount of traffic they recieve. I also hope they continue the erb bike lane to at least weber, but all the way to Lancaster would be awesome.

Personally I would prefer to see them narrowed but stay one-way for motor vehicle traffic. Separated 2-way cycle track on both streets. For motor vehicles I would have one through lane on each street, with turn lanes. This would make them easier to cross then if they were 2-way. Additionally, I would set a green wave on both at whatever speed is considered appropriate (probably 45 km/h through the uptown core, 60 km/h further out where there is space for more separation).

There really isn’t space at Erb and King to have 2-way traffic on Erb as well as space for bicycles. If all turns were prohibited it might be OK but I’m not sure the impact of those turn restrictions.

Those aren’t the only ideas however. Maybe there should be a green wave, but at a speed comfortable for bicycles…of course that can only be in one direction on each street.
[Image: kBKl8wx.jpg]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »