Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Server move
(08-13-2020, 04:13 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(08-13-2020, 12:04 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: I'm on Android (F apple)

No fanboi here. But I did not find any compelling Android device last time, so I decided to pick up a lightly-used iPhone instead, and avoid trading my iOS annoyances for a whole new set of Android annoyances. Smile

Long-time Android user here, or ex-user. I had Apple everything (except for Watch and iPhone). I moved the rest over to Apple last October and I don't regret it.

Two main perks for Apple: everything works together (since I will never, ever use Windows again) very well. Unfortunately, Linux doesn't have a lot of this type of support if you were going to go Android all-in. The 2nd perk: Now this might be just me, or those like me, but I don't find myself drooling over the next i-device every 2 weeks. I lost count on how many Android devices I went through in a couple years. But it included devices like the OnePlus 7 Pro, Samsung Note 9, Samsung S10, Huawei P20 Pro ... just every single week you have a different or better phone out there. Yet none of the phones were best at everything, or even close. Huawei for camera. OnePlus for display. Samsung for support. Motorola for sh*t free Android OS.

Now I have an Apple, and I have zero interest in any other phone, and I have no interest in the iPhone 12, if it is to be what some are claiming. I have the iPhone 11 and *might* upgrade to a Max or Pro Max, but that not likely.

I still miss Android for the ability to customize the crap out of it. Change the launcher. Change icon size. Put 6 items in docks if you desire. Live widgets. Though the latest version of iOS will allow for some extra stuff, including finally getting an app drawer and allowing users to remove everything from their home screen(s) and finally live widgets.

(08-25-2020, 04:51 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: I just had my laptop reimaged, and reinstalled FF, and got a untrusted cert error.

I did some searching, and found this info. Not sure if it is what is causing that or not. (I believe you are using the free Let's Encrypt but if I'm wrong let me know)

First, directly relating to the certificate, your server does not supply a certificate chain to the client, only the domain certificate. This requires them to go and download the Lets Encrypt Authority X3 certificate themselves in order to reconstruct the chain back to the DST Root CA X3. Any client that doesn't have that intermediate cert in their trust store and fails to successfully download a copy would fail the validation.

So, maybe there is something in the settings that send the whole chain (I've never used Lets Encrypt so I am not sure how they are setup).

I checked the server using https://www.digicert.com/help/ and also https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze....nected.com.

The latter shows exactly which certificates are missing (actually it gives two options; I’m guessing one of those chains is up to date and the other is obsolete). The server needs to serve all the certificates back to (but not including, although including it is harmless) a certificate that is widely trusted by browsers.
I don't know if this is related to the server move, but I haven't received any emails for thread subscriptions since Aug 19th.

This has made me realize I prefer not having them, but I assume the people who like them would want this fixed Smile
(08-25-2020, 08:21 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I checked the server using https://www.digicert.com/help/ and also https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze....nected.com.

The latter shows exactly which certificates are missing (actually it gives two options; I’m guessing one of those chains is up to date and the other is obsolete). The server needs to serve all the certificates back to (but not including, although including it is harmless) a certificate that is widely trusted by browsers.

Thanks! I think the new server is refusing to serve the intermediate cert even though I put it there. Kind of annoying.

dtkvictim: I recommended a settings change to Spokes as well about mailing from the site... maybe it'll work.
I'm working on the email issue now and I'm going to keep looking into the ssl issue
I have not seen any certificate problems on my part (Edge/Chrome or Firefox on Windows 10, or Chrome on iOS). And I have not installed any additional certificates. I wonder what's different ...
(08-26-2020, 09:15 AM)tomh009 Wrote: I have not seen any certificate problems on my part (Edge/Chrome or Firefox on Windows 10, or Chrome on iOS). And I have not installed any additional certificates. I wonder what's different ...

I think that if you’ve visited any other site which uses the same intermediate (roughly speaking, any site using the same certificate provider), it will be in your browser’s certificate store already, so the browser can validate this site’s certificate. This is why I don’t use a browser to investigate certificate issues but instead these sites which check certificates.

(08-26-2020, 09:17 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(08-26-2020, 09:15 AM)tomh009 Wrote: I have not seen any certificate problems on my part (Edge/Chrome or Firefox on Windows 10, or Chrome on iOS). And I have not installed any additional certificates. I wonder what's different ...

I think that if you’ve visited any other site which uses the same intermediate (roughly speaking, any site using the same certificate provider), it will be in your browser’s certificate store already, so the browser can validate this site’s certificate. This is why I don’t use a browser to investigate certificate issues but instead these sites which check certificates.

+1, this is correct. I haven't seen cert issues either, but I haven't tried on a new device. The Qualys report is what I always go to for the right answer, and it's pretty clear about the missing intermediate. 

I also want to say, thanks for fixing the HTTP -> HTTPS redirect. That was always a problem on the old host.
No problem Taylor. Glad it works well
(08-26-2020, 04:03 PM)Spokes Wrote: No problem Taylor. Glad it works well

I’d like to add my thanks for all your work on this site also.
(08-26-2020, 06:54 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(08-26-2020, 04:03 PM)Spokes Wrote: No problem Taylor. Glad it works well

I’d like to add my thanks for all your work on this site also.
Likewise.

I can confirm emails seem to be working again now.
(08-26-2020, 07:14 PM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(08-26-2020, 06:54 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I’d like to add my thanks for all your work on this site also.
Likewise.

I can confirm emails seem to be working again now.

OK great we were doing some experimenting with that earlier today as well. I think we're still not serving the new SSL cert that Spokes bought...
And now we're serving the new SSL cert. It works for me. I presume it should work for others as well.

Let's Encrypt? Valid only for 90 days?
(08-26-2020, 09:17 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Let's Encrypt? Valid only for 90 days?

For the low, low price of $12, our host hostinger sells you the service of running a script that auto-renews the LE cert every 90 days forever. (The script that let's encrypt provides to do the same for $0 somehow doesn't work on hostinger.)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »