Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Boathouse
Glad they're finally open. Excited to see what they've done with the place.

If you're interested in what it now looks like, have a quick peak at this album: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=...793&type=1
Nice!
Thanks for posting this!
I finally got around to having lunch at the Boathouse today and it was very enjoyable. Perfect day for sitting out on the patio, enjoying the fresh air and scenery and sipping a good beer with my lunch (just a salad, but a very tasty one). This space is such a nice addition to the local offerings.
The Record is reporting that Boathouse partner Mark Forwell will be buying out partner Bill MacTavish. MacTavish will focus on finding a new location to replace Imbibe. Last I heard in that regard is that the former Marisol restaurant may be one of the locations that MacTavish is interested in for the "new Imbibe".

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/5716...r-opening/
(07-09-2015, 06:19 PM)panamaniac Wrote: The Record is reporting that Boathouse partner Mark Forwell will be buying out partner Bill MacTavish.  MacTavish will focus on finding a new location to replace Imbibe.  Last I heard in that regard is that the former Marisol restaurant may be one of the locations that MacTavish is interested in for the "new Imbibe".

This is good news. BoHo didn't grab me the way Imbibe did, and the buyout paves the way for Bill to reopen Imbibe. Which means I may see my IndieGoGo perk after all.

The location rumour is a surprise, because it was hinted to me that the new location was within a block to the south (well, east) of the old location. But that was a couple of months ago, and perhaps that location didn't pan out.

(07-10-2015, 09:03 AM)zanate Wrote:
(07-09-2015, 06:19 PM)panamaniac Wrote: The Record is reporting that Boathouse partner Mark Forwell will be buying out partner Bill MacTavish.  MacTavish will focus on finding a new location to replace Imbibe.  Last I heard in that regard is that the former Marisol restaurant may be one of the locations that MacTavish is interested in for the "new Imbibe".

This is good news. BoHo didn't grab me the way Imbibe did, and the buyout paves the way for Bill to reopen Imbibe. Which means I may see my IndieGoGo perk after all.

The location rumour is a surprise, because it was hinted to me that the new location was within a block to the south (well, east) of the old location. But that was a couple of months ago, and perhaps that location didn't pan out.

I think there may be a number of possibilities for a new location.  If Niko Niko is moving out, that would seem an option as well. 

I've noticed that Boathouse seems to attract a "more mature" clientele than Imbibe did, at least for lunch out on the patio.  That patio, however, is absolutely the nicest place in town to relax and enjoy a pint on a nice day (like today!).
(07-10-2015, 09:03 AM)zanate Wrote:

I'm all for imbibe opening sooner rather than later. I have no inside info so the thoughts below are the ramblings of a mad man.

I think Bolero would be a great spot for a new imbibe. Marisol would be a good choice. My dark horse idea is the Kitchen, too far from King but a cool patio and even a handful of parking spots. If traffic at Jack Burger is any indication, and the history of businesses in the Kitchen location, the place is not great for food establishments.

This just occurred to me - what about Capers? The new landlord (Revel) wants to gentrify the shit out of that building. Maybe imbibe is the type of replacement they'd be looking for?

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/4549...-building/

"At street level, Litt would ultimately like to see a number of small boutique retailers or restaurants – perhaps an extension of what's occurring on the nearby Duke Street food block."

And I also want them to open so I can get my Indiegogo reward.
(07-10-2015, 09:48 AM)Chris Wrote: I think Bolero would be a great spot for a new imbibe.

I think this would be an awesome location. The Marisol spot would be great, too, but right on King where Bolero was would be even better.
I see there hasn't been much in terms of reviews in this thread yet. Probably for the best...

I've been there twice now, and the overriding experience was "poor service". I was hoping that after 6 months, they might have gotten a bit streamlined, but apparently not. It's like the speed of service at Imbibe (slow) but scaled up to a larger place (i.e. very slow). I don't know if it's a training thing, or a chronic under-staffing issue, but every single stage of the process (getting menus, ordering drinks, ordering food, getting your bill, and god forbid you need a server in between one of those steps) is just horrifically dragged out. This might be okay, say, if your objective is not to get drinks/food, but to hang out with your friends, but the interior of the place is very loud and echoy, making it hard to hold conversations with people who aren't immediately beside you. And perhaps the worst thing of all, despite the relation to Imbibe, there is very little in terms of interesting beer on tap. It's better than your Molson/Coors/Stella mix at regular bars, but I was hoping for a few options like Imbibe's.

Ultimately I put up with the service at Imbibe because the benefits (zomg-mazing beer, intimate atmosphere) outweighed the slowness. The Boathouse simply doesn't have anything compelling enough to merit the frustration.
I like the setting and the food. The music gigs are also nice. However I do agree with you that service was generally bad. Last time we were there I started to believe they had forgotten our order since the place wasn't in any way busy to justify the long wait.
(07-10-2015, 11:35 AM)Markster Wrote: I see there hasn't been much in terms of reviews in this thread yet.  Probably for the best...

I've been there twice now, and the overriding experience was "poor service".  I was hoping that after 6 months, they might have gotten a bit streamlined, but apparently not.  It's like the speed of service at Imbibe (slow) but scaled up to a larger place (i.e. very slow).  I don't know if it's a training thing, or a chronic under-staffing issue, but every single stage of the process (getting menus, ordering drinks, ordering food, getting your bill, and god forbid you need a server in between one of those steps) is just horrifically dragged out.  This might be okay, say, if your objective is not to get drinks/food, but to hang out with your friends, but the interior of the place is very loud and echoy, making it hard to hold conversations with people who aren't immediately beside you.  And perhaps the worst thing of all, despite the relation to Imbibe, there is very little in terms of interesting beer on tap.  It's better than your Molson/Coors/Stella mix at regular bars, but I was hoping for a few options like Imbibe's.

Ultimately I put up with the service at Imbibe because the benefits (zomg-mazing beer, intimate atmosphere) outweighed the slowness.  The Boathouse simply doesn't have anything compelling enough to merit the frustration.

Has your experience been in the evening?  I've been five times for lunch and have never had a problem - in fact the service has always been friendly and prompt, although you do wait a bit for the food, which is as I would expect it to be.

(07-10-2015, 10:13 AM)MidTowner Wrote:
(07-10-2015, 09:48 AM)Chris Wrote: I think Bolero would be a great spot for a new imbibe.

I think this would be an awesome location. The Marisol spot would be great, too, but right on King where Bolero was would be even better.

Bolero was on Water St, iirc.  The idea is interesting but I have long wondered whether the situation of that building allows the retail space to be leased.  Who owns the unleased space, the bank? 
Once was lunch, weekend, when it wasn't busy. It gave the distinct feeling of being "forgotten".
Once was the evening, Tuesday before Canada Day, and it started 1/3 full and had become completely full by the time I left.

I sure hope that I have a "prompt" experience next time. I've already mostly ruled them out as a "quick pint" location, as much as I would like it to be one.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »