Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Scott (59-65 Weber E) | 11 fl | Complete
(09-04-2020, 11:43 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(09-03-2020, 12:48 PM)ac3r Wrote: It's modest, but I like it. The colours aren't my favourite but the building looks to be of an alright quality. It's a nice mid-rise and in a good location. The one going up across the street will really make this area feel filled in. The building going up at Frederick and Lancaster which is nearby should bring up the foot traffic around this part of downtown.

This area is so close to the KW Art Gallery, Centre in the Square and KPL Art Gallery it'd be a pretty nice area for artists/the arts if there was more affordable places to live. With so many good restaurants, community centered shops and the market it would be perfect to have a kind of alternative/artsy area of the city, kind of like a Kensington Market. Old, gritty but lively.

There used to be many houses in that general area converted to multiple apartments that were fairly affordable, back in the day.  Are they now gone/expensive?

There are still quite a few multiplexes (I have no data, sorry, only anecdotal observations) but mostly a little bit (Kitchener) west, on the blocks to the north of Weber. There may be some in the Mansion street area, too, but I'm less confident about their density.

Looks like the ground floor commercial is no more.

Quote:Permitno 20110469
Issue Year 2020
Work Type Addition - Res - Apartment
Permit Description Permit is to create a new residential unit on the ground floor of an apartment building and convert the commercial unit into an amenity room.
(09-04-2020, 04:43 PM)taylortbb Wrote: Looks like the ground floor commercial is no more.

Quote:Permitno 20110469
Issue Year 2020
Work Type Addition - Res - Apartment
Permit Description Permit is to create a new residential unit on the ground floor of an apartment building and convert the commercial unit into an amenity room.

That can't be the entire ground floor, that would be more than one apartment. Even more than an apartment + an amenity room. But it's hard to tell as we can't see the floorplan.
(09-05-2020, 10:32 PM)O9tomh009 Wrote:
(09-04-2020, 04:43 PM)taylortbb Wrote: Looks like the ground floor commercial is no more.

That can't be the entire ground floor, that would be more than one apartment. Even more than an apartment + an amenity room. But it's hard to tell as we can't see the floorplan.
The main floor would also have a vestibule, lobby, mail alcove, and elevators, so l could see it.
(09-05-2020, 10:32 PM)tomh009 Wrote:

Based on walking past, the ground floor commercial just looks to be a single restaurant-sized unit on the Weber St side. It definitely seems about the right size for a residential unit + amenity room.
Didn't that happen in a few of those student buildings in Waterloo? Get an approval with ground floor retail and then convert it to a residence? This shouldn't be allowed.
(09-09-2020, 11:06 AM)Spokes Wrote: Didn't that happen in a few of those student buildings in Waterloo?  Get an approval with ground floor retail and then convert it to a residence?  This shouldn't be allowed.

Based on what? If it’s worth more as a residence than as commercial, what is the basis for forcing it to be commercial? I’m not sure people who make suggestions around the use of real estate consider just how little freedom they are implicitly saying property owners should have. Remember, all the best parts of the city were built pre-zoning.

(09-09-2020, 12:27 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(09-09-2020, 11:06 AM)Spoke Wrote: Didn't that happen in a few of those student buildings in Waterloo?  Get an approval with ground floor retail and then convert it to a residence?  This shouldn't be allowed.

Based on what? If it’s worth more as a residence than as commercial, what is the basis for forcing it to be commercial? I’m not sure people who make suggestions around the use of real estate consider just how little freedom they are implicitly saying property owners should have. Remember, all the best parts of the city were built pre-zoning.

I suppose it depends on what was agreed to in the first place, if the property required re-zoning.   If the extra height was approved BECAUSE of the ground floor commercial, then the bar should be set fairly high for changing the use without revisiting the original rezoning/approval.  We're seeing a case like this in my Ottawa neighbourhood (five commercial units changed to one "live/work" unit and a number of apartments), that has stimulated considerable neighbourhood controversy.  Rather than it being a "minor change" that City staff could approve, the public outcry has sent it to a public meeting and the Planning Committee.

In the case of this particular building, where only one commercial unit was ever planned, I don't know that it makes much difference.
(09-09-2020, 02:03 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(09-09-2020, 12:27 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Based on what? If it’s worth more as a residence than as commercial, what is the basis for forcing it to be commercial? I’m not sure people who make suggestions around the use of real estate consider just how little freedom they are implicitly saying property owners should have. Remember, all the best parts of the city were built pre-zoning.

I suppose it depends on what was agreed to in the first place, if the property required re-zoning.   If the extra height was approved BECAUSE of the ground floor commercial, then the bar should be set fairly high for changing the use without revisiting the original rezoning/approval.

Yes, I agree that makes sense. If a deal is made, then everybody needs to abide by it. Under the circumstances described, it would be perfectly reasonable to say that reverting the ground floor to residential means the extra height can’t get built.
Hence why, in this case, the change may have been sought only after the tower was built out ...
How do these commercial spaces work in a condo? Are they sold to business owners or individuals who then in turn rent to potential business or are they owned by the condo corporation and managed and rented by the corporation?
(09-09-2020, 06:35 PM)creative Wrote: How do these commercial spaces work in a condo? Are they sold to business owners or individuals who then in turn rent to potential business or are they owned by the condo corporation and managed and rented by the corporation?

Generally they're like any other unit, sold to some owner that wishes to rent it out. But I'm sure there's exceptions.

This specific building however is rental, not condo.
So I can see condo developments wanting to convert unsold commercial spaces. In this case they nave have been having trouble leasing the commercial space. A lot of these developments are funded by private equity with promise of rates of return.

(09-09-2020, 12:27 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(09-09-2020, 11:06 AM)Spokes Wrote: Didn't that happen in a few of those student buildings in Waterloo?  Get an approval with ground floor retail and then convert it to a residence?  This shouldn't be allowed.

Based on that the project was approved with ground floor retail in it?
(09-10-2020, 11:09 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(09-09-2020, 12:27 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Based on what? If it’s worth more as a residence than as commercial, what is the basis for forcing it to be commercial? I’m not sure people who make suggestions around the use of real estate consider just how little freedom they are implicitly saying property owners should have. Remember, all the best parts of the city were built pre-zoning.

Based on that the project was approved with ground floor retail in it?

Yes, I think that’s what panamaniac was getting at. I agree that Rule of Acquisition #17 should apply, especially to large developers who can be assumed to have the ability to properly vet everything before they sign it.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »