Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
1668 King Street East | 22+23 fl | Proposed
The tower footprints are fairly large indeed and I'm not sure how I feel about them either. But the setbacks on the upper floors, combined with the slight changes in the façade and the perpendicular placement of the towers themselves (which is mostly due to the constraints of the lot), should provide the impression of some visual dynamism so that they don't look too much like two hulking identical towers. The second sketch illustrates that with the different windows and variety of massing on different parts of the tower. One bonus about designing a tower in this manner is that it can let them squeeze in more units. A slimmer tower would need more height to compensate, but more height would likely not be easy to get approved in this area.

It's possible Vive might own or has plans for future work around here, as they clearly have a keen interest in the east end of downtown and seemingly, now, beyond downtown. They're an amazing local developer IMO. I've been keeping an eye on them and am tempted to seek employment there one day if they keep up their good work. Seems like a company that is truly invested in redeveloping this region in a very respectful way.

And yeah I've tried to get the mods to move the Elevate Condos thread to the Suburban section because it's nowhere near downtown, but they never seem to bother or notice haha. Maybe I'll PM one another day.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1668 King Street East | 23+23 fl | Proposed - by ac3r - 09-08-2021, 08:57 PM