Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Air Quality
(07-21-2021, 10:49 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: I wonder if the same applies to residential flooding? I have an idea that First Nations knew not to build their houses on flood plains; or at least to only live there seasonally. Then the settlers came and built right next to the river and only (mostly) stopped after losing many neighbourhoods to flooding.

Good question. I don't know the answer to that in North America. I do know that it just came up in the NZ news that some highway routing was changed due to Maori input and that the changed route did avoid recent flooding.

EDIT: from a colleague: "I have heard stories about FN telling people to move winter camps away from frozen rivers due to the danger of the spring break up floods"
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Air Quality - by danbrotherston - 07-19-2021, 08:18 PM
RE: Air Quality - by jeffster - 07-19-2021, 09:04 PM
RE: Air Quality - by danbrotherston - 07-19-2021, 09:49 PM
RE: Air Quality - by jeffster - 07-20-2021, 06:39 PM
RE: Air Quality - by plam - 07-20-2021, 10:56 PM
RE: Air Quality - by ijmorlan - 07-21-2021, 10:49 AM
RE: Air Quality - by plam - 07-21-2021, 05:40 PM