Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Kraus Development (525-565 Conestogo Road) | 3-35 fl | Proposed
(06-28-2021, 02:39 PM)ac3r Wrote: The only real merit of the tunnel that I could really see is that it would be better protect people from the elements whereas a bridge (unless covered on all sides) leaves you open to wind gusts, snow and rain. But apart from that, tunnels are a strange experience and don't make people feel that safe, even if they are. There is a psychological aspect to them that makes people tend to avoid using them. This is especially true for women who could easily experience sexual assault or rape inside of something where nobody can see but it's also much easier to rob someone inside of them. A good sucker punch from behind and someone can grab your wallet and phone then run off. Bucket Man often sits around the tunnels under Westmout Road (near Highland Road) and has assaulted people for no reason whatsoever. With a bridge, perhaps people don't have that good of a line of sight either but they're still much more exposed to anyone walking on it or who could view it from neighbouring buildings so they are both tangibly and psychologically safer experiences.

You would also need to spend more money on tunnel maintenance (light replacement, graffiti removal, cleaning...they always smell like piss, collect trash/leaves etc). It would also need to have adequate drainage to deal with rainfall and snowmelt that can pool up inside of it, driving up the costs even more...and that can be a tricky thing to achieve if the tunnel is deeper than the storm drain systems running under the streets.

The tunnels under Westmount Rd. are utterly pessimal. They are literally storm drains. I am not suggesting that we have that as a tunnel.

But not all tunnels have to look that way, there are better tunnel designs. For example you say "This is especially true for women who could easily experience sexual assault or rape inside of something where nobody can see.", but as I said, one way in which you make tunnels more pleasant is by eliminating places that you cannot see, make them wide enough that you can see through them.

I fully understand the reasons why tunnels can are less socially safe, but in understanding that, I also understand how those issues can be mitigated, and I've seen those mitigations in person. I felt they were effective. I'm not sure if you'd agree, upon seeing such well designed tunnels, but at least keep an open mind.

As for merit, I'm surprised you see no other merits, connecting to an existing and currently entirely wasted green space is a major benefit, as would connecting more directly to Dutton Dr.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - by danbrotherston - 06-28-2021, 02:58 PM
RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - by nms - 06-28-2021, 11:25 PM