Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accessible housing issues
(06-07-2021, 10:31 AM)Bytor Wrote:
(06-05-2021, 08:52 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: As to accessibility, not everybody needs accessible accommodation, any more than everybody needs a pool (note: a frivolity for most; but a necessity for some) or a barbecue.

That's quite the tone-deaf statement right there, trying to compare accessibility to a barbecue or pool. Accessibility is a "must", whereas barbecues and pools are "wants"

I re-iterate my reply to this point from before:

As to barbecue vs. accessibility, yes of course accessibility is a necessity for some people whereas a barbecue is not, and I think I’ve written enough here to be entitled to expect that people understand that I’m not somebody who thinks everybody should sink or swim regardless of ability or resources. My point is that I actually believe people are capable of making choices for themselves and can trade off different features of a property. It makes zero sense for us all, as a society, to spend a huge amount of money for elevators in small buildings when most people don’t even need them. As long as we have accessibility rules that ensure that a substantial fraction of properties are accessible, then there will be no problem with access for those who need it.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Accessible housing issues - by IronDev - 06-02-2021, 09:46 AM
Accessible housing issues - by tomh009 - 06-02-2021, 05:13 PM
Accessible housing issues - by ijmorlan - 06-05-2021, 08:52 AM
RE: Accessible housing issues - by Bytor - 06-07-2021, 10:31 AM
RE: Accessible housing issues - by danbrotherston - 06-07-2021, 12:52 PM
RE: Accessible housing issues - by ijmorlan - 06-07-2021, 01:02 PM
RE: Accessible housing issues - by ijmorlan - 06-07-2021, 12:56 PM
RE: Accessible housing issues - by Bytor - 06-08-2021, 09:17 AM
RE: Accessible housing issues - by ijmorlan - 06-08-2021, 04:36 PM