Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accessible housing issues
(06-07-2021, 10:31 AM)Bytor Wrote:
(06-05-2021, 08:52 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: As to accessibility, not everybody needs accessible accommodation, any more than everybody needs a pool (note: a frivolity for most; but a necessity for some) or a barbecue.

That's quite the tone-deaf statement right there, trying to compare accessibility to a barbecue or pool. Accessibility is a "must", whereas barbecues and pools are "wants"

I usually agree with ijmorlan, but while his statement might not be entirely untrue, I really have to suggest that it is at best an oversimplification.

Many accomodations for accessibility help everyone at least some of the time. Curb cuts, accessible doors, elevators, useful to people with strollers, or moving stuff in and out of a home, or even just with a grocery trundle buggy.

While yes, some people are more able to deal with not having those accommodations, they are still beneficial. I am going to agree that requiring every single apartment to have an elevator is perhaps too great a cost to pay to achieve that benefit, we should be honest about what the trade off is.

And frankly, I don't think cost of elevators is the main obstacle here.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Accessible housing issues - by IronDev - 06-02-2021, 09:46 AM
Accessible housing issues - by tomh009 - 06-02-2021, 05:13 PM
Accessible housing issues - by ijmorlan - 06-05-2021, 08:52 AM
RE: Accessible housing issues - by Bytor - 06-07-2021, 10:31 AM
RE: Accessible housing issues - by danbrotherston - 06-07-2021, 12:52 PM
RE: Accessible housing issues - by ijmorlan - 06-07-2021, 01:02 PM
RE: Accessible housing issues - by ijmorlan - 06-07-2021, 12:56 PM
RE: Accessible housing issues - by Bytor - 06-08-2021, 09:17 AM
RE: Accessible housing issues - by ijmorlan - 06-08-2021, 04:36 PM