Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Manulife (King Centre) redevelopment project
(05-27-2021, 09:53 PM)plam Wrote: I don't know how one would express and establish a claim about roofs ruining things, but I've seen enough cases that I have some suspicions about them. Perhaps it is a claim about pedestrianization not always working as we might hope.

That actually makes a lot of sense.

Although I haven’t kept up with news from Ottawa, I know that at one time there was a lot of discussion about Sparks St., 5 of 7 blocks of which are fully pedestrianized. One obviously dumb thing about that is that bicycles were also forbidden; I don’t know if that is still true. I always liked it; with the full width of the street dedicated to non-motor-vehicle traffic, it was quieter and more comfortable to walk on. But supposedly the inability to drive there made it harder to run a business. I’m skeptical, but it’s at least possible that the ability to drive in front is more important than it seems at first glance. I don’t think parking as such is the issue; this always comes up in the context of curb parking, of which there just can’t be that much due to the way geometry works.

More generally, I think the issue with enclosed streets has to do with the walls, not the roofs; it’s entirely believable that the walls built to complete the enclosure have subtle effects on traffic which end up making the spaces not function. I still claim this is something that can be fixed with careful design (including but not limited to where the doors go), but I also acknowledge that it may be harder than it appears to do the “careful design”.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Manulife (King Centre) redevelopment project - by ijmorlan - 05-28-2021, 07:55 AM
RE: Manulife Development Project - by robdrimmie - 05-21-2019, 02:54 PM