Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Federal funding for affordable housing
(10-28-2020, 08:19 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(10-28-2020, 07:50 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Do hotels make a good housing option? AFAIK they are being used during the pandemic as shelter, but aren't really acting as a home.

I also think there is a poor value to large affordable housing developments, I suspect spreading them out more leads to better outcomes, but I am not an affordable housing expert.

More any port in a storm than good housing option.  If it were up to me, Kitchener would have been insisting on affordable components in the new developments going up in DTK (and elsewhere).

Can't force developers to include those unless we require that in the zoning rules -- or the developer asks for variances.

As to would hotel rooms be good? Not as is, but there is no reason why a North American-sized hotel room (maybe 600 sq ft) could not be converted to a very functional bachelor apartment.

And, is it good to have affordable housing all in one building? No, it's not ideal. But if a hotel conversion can be funded by the feds, and can help take a few hundred people off the waiting list, I'm willing to accept that compromise.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Federal funding for affordable housing - by tomh009 - 10-28-2020, 08:26 PM