Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1425 Block Line Rd | 12 & 8 fl | U/C
(11-07-2019, 07:28 PM)ZEBuilder Wrote: They have about half of the underground walls done from the site entrance off of blockline to the edge of the building on homerwatson, and as they keep on progressing i keep on wondering where the rebar is. They only have it sticking out in one place (a corner) for the next floor whereas with other developments along the entire wall there is rebar popping up every 6 inches. the only reason i would think they would do this is if they drill into the concrete and add a piece of rebar that way. but would that not weaken the buildings strength? Could somebody explain this to me?

ZEBuilder to your question, I was looking in the hole a bit more closely.  You can see plenty of short walls down in the basement that have tons of rebar sticking out the top of them.  It looks to be a precast concrete building going on top of these, and it looks like the load bearing walls are perpendicular to the exterior wall, and they are all down in the basement so far. 

Therefore the exterior wall is just a retaining wall, and any walls that will sit on it will not be structural.  As for the bits at the two corners where you mentioned that there are rebars sticking out, the structure must turn 90 degrees in that last unit, and therefore those particular portions of the wall are load bearing.  Once they start installing precast I bet you'll be able to tell by which way the floor slabs sit.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1425 Block Line Rd | 12 & 8 fl | U/C - by mastermind - 11-12-2019, 09:36 PM