Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Region approves supervised injection sites, Cambridge immediately bans them.
(08-13-2018, 09:13 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(08-13-2018, 06:44 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Unsurprising. The Fords aren’t about reducing harm. It’s just not their thing.

I think numbers are starting to come out of SIS's and it's mostly negative. The article I was reading was about an SIS in Toronto, and the increase in crime in that area, and the need to have law enforcement in place more often.

I'm really not sure where I personally fall on this topic.

I have just enough personal experience with this; in one case, the user died but we brought him back to life (no me personally), and the other time, he took out a co-worker who hasn't been able to return to work, her other co-worker was stabbed in the chest, but luckily the bullet/stab proof best protected him.  

I guess the question is, who are we trying to protect more?

[…]

Thanks for the personal perspective. I agree that a new program such as supervised injection sites should be monitored carefully, and the impact on the nearby community, and first responders, is a valid concern. My problem is that Ford isn’t cancelling them because, after careful study, they turn out to cause more problems than they solve; he’s cancelling them because he thinks addicts just need harsher police enforcement, and because it’s something the Liberals were doing that he can break.

Pretty much anything good done by the Ontario government under this administration will be either by accident or just something done routinely by individual departments that Ford doesn’t feel a need to override. By contrast the Liberals were incompetent and pusillanimous but were trying to improve the province, and succeeded in some important ways.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Region approves supervised injection sites, Cambridge immediately bans them. - by ijmorlan - 08-14-2018, 07:01 AM