Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Circa 1877 (née Brick Brewery) | 20 fl | Complete
Having no surface parking actually helps ancillary uses, if they're intended, I think. Bauer has public underground parking, but because of the onsite, offsite, and underground options, the least visible underground gets sparingly used; having one, clear, sole option winds up making it an easy and obvious choice.

It's interesting to hear folks in the Bauer building complain about views for them being "ruined," as I'm sure many locals complained that the Bauer would ruin theirs. Also a bit rich that all kinds of local residents helped push for the late addition of Allen as an ION stop on the grounds that the area would start to see more development and densification, and now that the stop has been awarded, arguing against that very development and densification.

Maybe I'll be the first to suggest that this site would be perfect for a no-parking tower, with Uptown a close walk, Bauer's amenities next door, an LRT stop on one side, and the Iron Horse Trail on the other. Save me the six storeys of parking (visitors and ancillary uses might need 1, 1.5), save residents their true fears of car traffic and overflow parking concerns, and give further justification for allowing upzoning.

I'd really like to have a way to put money down, say $1,000, towards a 1-2 bedroom in a suitably located no-parking development, and show councils and developers that there is demand for this.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: 181 King St S - by Spokes - 10-01-2014, 10:46 PM
RE: 181 King St S - by The85 - 02-14-2016, 04:25 PM
RE: 181 King St S: Brick Brewing Redevelopment - by Viewfromthe42 - 05-11-2016, 11:17 AM