Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
236 Victoria St N | 40 & 35 fl | Proposed
Oh it's not that I think there aren't enough climbers. This is Canada...we love climbing and hiking. I usually go mountaineering once a year be it in the Torngat, Cassair, Laurentian to Yukon mountain ranges. But climbing mountains and cliffs in parks is a lot different than climbing gyms. Not that many people are willing - especially now when so many people are struggling - to spend money to climb the same 18 meter wall in an old factory or whatever, week after week. It's just not a good business model and use of space. I think to most people, a climbing gym is more like...an escape room. Something you try out and maybe go to a couple times for a bit of fun, but aren't really going to drop annual fees on because you'd be climbing the same wall or escaping the same room over and over again. They can be successful, but only if you have good business sense to keep the lights on and keep people returning.

But I think if you could stick a climbing wall or two in a new city or regional recreation facility then there's potential there. You can attract that casual crowd that wants a neat way to workout, but also introduce a lot of newbies to the activity. That can grow interest, then demand for more spaces...which, if the market demand is there, means successfully run private climbing gyms.

Or I don't know maybe this climbing space should try to partner with Bingemans or better yet, Chicopee Ski Resort. The latter is especially struggling now that climate change has totally destroyed their capacity to keep the ski hills open or reliably produce artificial snow, so they have spent a couple years trying to pivot to summer activities. But they can only make so much money on biking trails, tennis, running...I don't even know what they do anymore heh. Seems to me that taking a struggling winter/summer activity resort and a struggling climbing gym and made them spend some time together, a good relationship may blossom. :'P
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: 236 Victoria St N | 40 & 35 fl | Proposed - by ac3r - 02-13-2024, 06:54 PM