Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Kraus Development (525-565 Conestogo Road) | 3-35 fl | Proposed
If we look simply at the "housing as shelter" demand, "a roof over ones head regardless of the form" is one thing.  I wish that any local discussion of accomodation focused on "homes" and not "houses".  The former includes all types of shelter; the latter is typically seen as "single-family housing".  But maybe I'm being overly pedantic.

There have been several types of accommodation in the region (in no particular order, and I'm likely missing something):

1. Owned Single Family Homes: these were seen at the peak of prosperity, and pushed heavily after the Second World War (eg "Why are you fighting? So that someday you can live in freedom on your own property with your kids playing in the yard").  Actual size has varied all over the place from the small "strawberry box" story 1000 square feet house, to the "monster" 3000-4000+ square foot house to the country estate in the middle of a farmer's field.

2. Rented Single Family Homes: for those who need (temporary) housing, but don't wish to buy. This could range from 1 year to 20+ years.

3. Owned Multi-residential (typically condos, (towers or townhouses) these days but also includes co-operative housing): for those who want ownership without property maintenance or (usually) stairs.

4. Rented multi-residential (including university residences or employee dormitories) : For those who don't want to buy (or can't) something

5. Rooming houses: I'm not sure how many of these exist anymore, but definitely the early 20th Century had rooming houses that were often homes of widows (say after World War I) who kept their own home and rented out rooms for income.  Meals were sometimes included.

The housing advertising market is heavily skewed to 1 and 3 because they are selling something.  Whether they are selling a 100-house subdivision, or a 100-unit condo tower depends on what they have.  Selling condos as investment properties is easiest for developers who want a quick(ish) return on their investment that is targeted at investors who also want a quick(ish) return on their investment. 

Seniors housing (either 'retirement living' or 'nursing home') is either 3 or 4 above.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Kraus Development (525-565 Conestogo Road) | 3-35 fl | Proposed - by nms - 12-16-2023, 12:14 PM
RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - by nms - 06-28-2021, 11:25 PM