Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
130-142 Victoria Street South | 25 fl | Proposed
(09-20-2023, 03:04 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(09-19-2023, 03:22 PM)Joedelay Highhoe Wrote: I'm baffled that she's representing the NDP. She seems like an archetypical conservative - someone who resists progress at every opportunity. It makes me question my entire history of voting NDP. Have I always been voting for the party of the privileged and delusional? I feel like I've been gaslighted, and I'm seriously considering not voting at all.

The political spectrum isn't so neatly organized. She's NDP because of social issues. I'm sure she flies a pride flag, and would say that immigration is good. She also rejects free market concepts like supply and demand, and believes that house prices are driven by greed rather than scarcity of supply. None of those would make her fit with the Conservatives. That group gets known as the "regressive left", and I think has become most famous from San Francisco politics. They oppose any change that might make anyone money (e.g. housing construction), but are totally for social change (e.g. marriage equality).

(09-19-2023, 03:52 PM)Kodra24 Wrote: I thought conservatives, such as myself, are pro-business and pro-development - it's the Green/NDP parties that are the majority NIMBY activists IMHO

I don't think that one's so clear either. There's a lot of NIMBYism in the Conservative party, from people that want their white picket fence in their pristine suburb, and to keep any sort of development and social services far away. They may have no issue with downtown towers, but suggest a homeless shelter in their neighbourhood and I don't think you'll find the Conservatives are a fan, they'll be quite strongly NIMBY.

I don't think anyone, regardless of party, would want a homeless shelter next to them to be fair
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: 130-142 Victoria Street South | 25 fl | Proposed - by Kodra24 - 09-20-2023, 07:25 PM