Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Housing shortfall, costs and affordability
(08-31-2023, 03:45 PM)ac3r Wrote: If that's a non-sequitur you...um...what, even? Lol.

I agree with the premise you brought up, but yes, I think it was a bit of a non-sequitur. I think the video can be taken as evidence of wage suppression and a point against the labour shortage. I do think our immigration rates, regardless of class (students, skilled labour, family reunion, etc.), is the single most controllable factor in our housing crisis but this isn't a video of people lining up for an open house, is it?

(08-31-2023, 03:45 PM)ac3r Wrote: And it fucks us the most, at the end of the day. As an Indigenous person I've seen this entire continent genocided, colonized and then basically raped for a couple centuries by modern day capitalists. Now they're doing it on a scale that is equal to industrial livestock farming. Reel them in with promises, use them and then make everyone live life like a battle royale deathmatch competing for whatever scraps are thrown our way. This is not in any shape or form sustainable. People whine about housing costs, how transit sucks, how we are eating up green space etc. Well that tends to happen when you let in hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of people a year and you keep voting for the same brain dead morons who perpetuate it.

What, you don't think new immigrants care about the genocide and injustices committed against indigenous people? I'm sure, as Canadians, they are bound to feel responsible for their country's history and push for reconciliation and prosperity!

(08-31-2023, 03:45 PM)ac3r Wrote: Or just think about it this way: when is the last time you've seen hundreds of people camping in tents in public parks or wrapped around the block downtown Kitchener to flip burgers? Absolutely never. Something has changed, then, right?

It's definitely not unexpected to appear in Kitchener though. I have another 10 such videos from Southern Ontario saved.

(08-31-2023, 04:12 PM)neonjoe Wrote: The fact that McDonalds has a job fair means they have many open positions and the youth aren't applying for jobs at the locations directly with the Franchise.

Edit: this may be for the new location that they are building up by Costco Waterloo.

I don't think this is true. A sibling of mine was hired at a McDonalds job fair 15 years ago; I think it's pretty standard for them. I remember going along, and I can tell you it didn't have lines with hundreds of people outside. I think plenty of Canadian born youth still apply, but there will be no upwards pressure on wages to keep up with cost of living with this many applicants, and Canadians will be hesitant to take jobs requiring them to live 15 to a house to make ends meet.

Not to mention I reject the idea that McDonalds is exclusively a part time supplementary income type job only for youths. I don't think anyone wants to work at McDonalds, but someone who needs to should be able to make ends meet.

(08-31-2023, 11:35 PM)plam Wrote: 2. I think Conestoga College is relatively legit. I'm sure it's not perfect. Maybe you mean the defunct Everest College or other private career colleges.

It's not so simple anymore. One of my closest friends recently finished his welding certificates at Conestoga, and he was very happy with the program and there is no reason to doubt its legitimacy, but there was also 0 international students in his welding classes (electives were different).

Programs that international students enroll in, like most at the downtown campus (which is exclusively for international students btw), are mostly no better than strip mall colleges. It's borderline criminal on the college's end. The diplomas/certificates/whatever that these students are receiving aren't good for any real jobs.

And somewhere between the two extremes: I've also hired and worked with multiple people from Conestoga's computer programming program. One was Canadian born and graduated over 10 years ago, and had a near university level of education. The other was an Indian international student graduate 2 years prior, and even accounting for the difference in years of experience it was clear that the level of education they received was very different. Despite being fond of the international student on a personal level, I wouldn't hire them again.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Housing shortfall, costs and affordability - by dtkvictim - 09-01-2023, 07:38 PM