Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Georgie (16-20 George St N) | 5 fl | proposed
(08-28-2023, 02:08 PM)ac3r Wrote: For me it's the fake mansard roof, tacky arches above the window frames, the fake stone work on the ground floor and all the other little flairs. It is trying to look like architecture from the early 20th century but because it obviously isn't, the whole thing just looks kitsch.

A while back a developer proposed The Isabella, an 11 floor condo in uptown Waterloo that also had a fake historical look and people didn't like that much either.

[Image: RZwgptT.jpg]

I really liked The Isabella Proposal. I am disappointed that nothing came of it. This cambridge one is horrendous though. The "stone" on the main floor clashes with the beige Stucco (worst building material ever!). Once again another example of architects in this region not understanding how to incorporate a mansard roof into their design. I think they just think "well it works for Paris, it must work here".  Personally i think Paris is about the only place a Mansard roof works.  I also don't understand why they would have windows with a half moon top on the first and fifth floor, but not the whole building?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: 16-20 George St N | 5 fl | U/C - by ac3r - 08-26-2023, 06:09 PM
RE: 16-20 George St N | 5 fl | U/C - by bravado - 08-26-2023, 06:54 PM
RE: The Georgie (16-20 George St N) | 5 fl | proposed - by westwardloo - 08-28-2023, 03:19 PM