Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
459 Mill St | 15, 21, 31, 40 and 44 fl | Proposed
(01-20-2023, 09:49 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(01-20-2023, 07:53 PM)ac3r Wrote: I'll have to ask some colleagues about this one. As far as I know, there are no plans for this to be as high as 44 floors unless things have drastically changed. I don't think any sane developer would even try to propose such height in this neighbourhood because the NIMBYs are going to be out in full force about this one.

I'd be surprised - it's not really a NIMBY-type neighbourhood, or at least not more than venting NIMBYs.

Perhaps, but just the sheer size of a 44 - or even 32 - floor skyscraper there would be quite a change. The area is primarily surrounded by low rise single family homes. While the design of the project (and each building) is aiming to minimize shadows on existing properties, a skyscraper at 32 floors/105 meters (or higher...if it has actually redesigned to be 44 floors) is still going to cast quite a shadow and be quite the visual change for existing residents to see. While cities change, it's best if done slowly. Plopping down a half dozen towers in a century old single family home neighbourhood is going to face a lot of opposition.

These are the shadow studies for the project as originally proposed (11 to 32 floors) and even this is quite drastic, so 44 floors would be easily casting shadows well past Acacia Street:

[Image: dYSA65C.png]
In any case, I do hope the project goes ahead. I suspect it's not actually planned to be 15 to 44 floors and it is just a mistake on the meeting website...because that's unusual for this area and would face much fiercer resistance from the neighbourhood residents which would be quite a gamble for the developer to do, especially now that we're in a global construction slowdown. It would make more sense to propose something modest that has a greater chance at approval. The link Acitta doesn't make sense either. It was always planned to be 1500 residential units...so if suddenly there are extra floors on all these buildings, one would expect there to be more units now, but that's not the case. It's still 1500 units and that hasn't changed since they initially developed this back in 2021 (and even then, initial work started in 2017). I guess we'll find out come the meeting although I'll ask some people I know to see if I can get any more info before then.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: 459 Mill St | 11, 14, 21, 27, 29 and 32 fl | Proposed - by ac3r - 01-20-2023, 10:13 PM