Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
22 Weber Street West | 15 fl | Proposed
(08-26-2022, 03:30 PM)robdrimmie Wrote:
(08-26-2022, 01:07 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: We should all be grateful to Spokes and other creators who do positive things for the community. It is highly damaging to the community to hold those people to any grossly unreasonable standard.

I am grateful to Spokes, and to Tom. And to Ac3r, whose content is very largely fantastic, and occasionally peppered with prejudice which can also harmful to a community.

Being grateful to someone does not free them of criticism.

Creating a community like this is a lot of work, and it carries with it a lot of responsibility. The post was up for over 24 hours at the time of my comment. Even with your interpretation of immediate, that is a lot of time.

A Code of Conduct is a very important promise from those responsible for a community to the members of it. This was a failure to uphold a commitment that the administration of this site made to all its users. You are welcome to think of me what you like, but I will not apologize for holding them to the standard they set.

Edited to add: The way to make things obvious is to use words in a way that is supported by their dictionary definition.

Criticism would be warranted if he didn't follow the posted code of conduct when making a decision on removing the post, which is clearly not the case. Instead you are criticizing that he is not devoting more time to moderating. As someone who volunteers in a leadership capacity for an organization, this sort of attitude from members - implicitly demanding that I commit even more time and energy - is extremely demoralizing when encountered. If you see a short-coming, think about ways that you can contribute to improve, don't ask for more from the person who is already contributing the most.

The wording of the Code of Conduct also has to be understood in context. When I click my mouse button, I expect the UI to show an 'immediate' effect. Obviously even you don't hold Spokes to that standard. Considering he was more timely than organizations like Twitter and Facebook which have paid staff 24 hours of the day to deal with these things, I would say that your interpretation of 'immediate' is overly strict for a small volunteer forum like this one.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
22 Weber Street West | 15 fl | Proposed - by CP42 - 09-17-2021, 12:35 PM
RE: 22 Weber Street West | 15 fl | Proposed - by jamincan - 08-29-2022, 08:24 AM